Author Topic: soya and boys sex hormones??!  (Read 8968 times)

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: soya and boys sex hormones??!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 13:46:16 pm »
I used this site: http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/ as my main source of info, but have adapted. I'm lucky to have access to freshly-made coconut milk from the market, but you can use any sort.

I admit to *gasp* using the microwave sometimes to heat my milk and it doesn't seem to do any harm. I also don't have a candy thermometer but think I can judge pretty well what the temps should be. If I could get one, however, I would. I also don't have a heat pad etc for the fermenting - I made a basic little heat box out of a cardboard box lined with newspaper, into which I put my glass jar of yoghurt and two other jars filled with hot water. That's fine for here as it's pretty warm anyway. (The oven light trick looks like a good one and is probably what I would do if I had an oven with a light.)

F can handle a bit of dairy so I use a tablespoon of commercial dairy yoghurt as my starter. You could buy a non-dairy starter though - from what I've read they are meant to work a bit better with coconut milk. I thicken with coconut meat and a little gelatin.

It lasts well in the fridge so I only make it once a week - takes about 20 mins :)
*Nuala*

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 11:49:55 am »
We're getting "This milk's not nice" with the almond milk and he wont drink a drop  ::) So we're back to soya at the moment as they were out of coconut milk when I went shopping.
Catherine x

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 15:30:28 pm »
I think it was me that pointed it out to Becky, sorry I didn't want to cause any unecessary alarm but I knew I would want to know so I could weigh up the risks. We avoid soy because it has also been linked to early puberty in girls, not sure if there have been any longterm or official studies but it just isn't worth the risk IMO. When Leorah was MSPI we didn't do yoghurts but long before she could tolerate milk she could tolerate yoghurt so maybe you could trial cows milk yoghurt or maybe goats milk if it is available.
Katt