Author Topic: How much should he be eating?  (Read 1407 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
How much should he be eating?
« on: August 05, 2012, 13:11:31 pm »
DS will be 8 months this week. He has not been regularly on solids until this week, due to allergies (FPIES), reflux and a severe tongue tie. This week it all seems to be going much better. He is having pears and lamb. He is eating solids before getting his formula feeds because he was refusing all solids for a while and that was the only way to get him to eat anything.

He still has a NF and is generally drinking a large amount of formula (35 oz average). 

This is a typical day:

NF 4:00 6 oz
Solids 7:30 2 oz of pears
Bottle 8:30 7 oz
Solids 12:00 1 oz of lamb and sometimes some pears for desert (usually is not that hungry for this)
Bottle 1:00 7 oz
Bottle 4:00 7 oz
Bottle 7:30 7 7oz

Some days he will take smaller feeds.

Is the quantity of solids reasonable? I find the lunch is small, especially considering that he's having it prior to his milk feeds. I've decreased his bottles from 8 oz to 7 oz yesterday to try and reduce his overall amount, but then I realized maybe I should instead try to wean his night bottle now that he's more established on solids? We're trialling Quinoa starting Tuesday so hopefully if that works, his meals would be even more filling than they are now.

I know that solids are not important for his nutrition in the first year, but considering his difficult history with them, I want him to be able to enjoy eating and make it a fun experience, and I want him to see solids as a good way to get his calories as well. We had a while of solids refusal and now it's going well so I'd like to continue that and have him see his solids meal as fun!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 14:48:06 pm by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: How much should he be eating?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 21:55:54 pm »
All children are different as you know so it is hard to say at 8 months if that is a lot or not. By 8 months I think a lot of kids are onto their 3 meals a day so you could try a dinner too? Quiona is a protein source so that would be a great food to give him.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 02:43:33 am »
I've been scared to try dinner until we've been on a really good stretch without issues.  I waited till day 7 (today) but unfortunately things went bad today - with a major reflux flare up. So we'll see how the next few days go, I might need to stop solids once again :(
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:10:15 am »
Oh no :-[ don't fret though, when there are medical issues at play you just hav to go with the flow. He is on plenty of milk so def getting his calories!

Offline ENMS

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 15:54:52 pm »
oh sorry buntybear I wrote this all wrong :) I didn't try dinner yesterday, I just waited until day 7 to say it was going well and of course as soon as I said that he ended up with a reflux flare up.  litterally wrote it in the AM and the flare started in the PM (and a horrible one too).

had an appointment with the allergist today so she recommended that I go and trial quinoa, hopefully that should help with reflux since it's more like a cereal (and I can't give him cereals he reacted to rice and barley and oats is a no-no for FPIES).

I'll trial it as soon as he's doing better :)

Elise