Author Topic: Loves solids but now refusing the bottle.  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Rainbowgem

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Loves solids but now refusing the bottle.
« on: August 06, 2012, 18:39:26 pm »
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light.
I have done the EASY routine from 4weeks old on my ds and it has worked a treat. But now there is a problem not covered by my wonderful BW book.
I started him on solids at 5 1/2 months. He is now 71/2 months and loves his food. He has three good meals a day. But now he doesn't seem to want any milk. I still breast feed in the morning and before bed which he sometimes is interested in and other times not so much and other times I think he is just messing me about. It's hard to tell how much he is getting at these feeds but I try to keep him on for 20mins each breast (mostly because he is a very distracted feeder and into everything even if im sitting in a quiet room). During the day I was giving him formula at 10:30 and 14:30. I dropped the 10:30 as he was barely drinking anything but now he is only having about 2-4oz at the 14:30 feed. The only time he drinks more is at the dream feed (but this is the one I want to cut out giving his age and my sleep) I am reluctant now though as this is the only time I feel he gets his milk.
Any advice on how to get him interested in his milk again as he is certainly not getting the recommended amount for an under 1 year old. I'm putting milk in his cereal but that still doesn't bump his intake to the recommended amount.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Many many thanks
Gem x

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Loves solids but now refusing the bottle.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:45:45 am »
Hi there and welcome to BW!

How much solids is he getting?  You say three good meals, but how much is going in?  My instinct says he's filling up on the solids and you will need to cut way back in order to get the milk in.  I would most definitely keep the DF until his day time intake increases.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months