Author Topic: Teething or Being Picky?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
Teething or Being Picky?
« on: August 06, 2012, 20:12:07 pm »
My 16 month old DS has been hardly eating anything the past week. He's usually a great eater - he will eat curry couscous, quinoa dishes, etc, without a problem. He would go through phases while teething where he didn't want much beyond soy yogurt and applesauce or those squeeze packs for a couple of days. DH and I didn't think much of it since he was teething, and he'd go back to eating regularly after a few days.

This time, it is lasting a bit longer. I'm pretty certain he's getting a couple of his eye teeth, but it has been a week of struggles at meal time. The other day he had 3 bites of applesauce and 2 garbanzo beans for lunch. Dinner would be similar.

We keep trying squeeze packs or anything, but he's not wanting much at all. I'm afraid that we are creating a monster once this passes, if it is just teething. Or do you think he will go back?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Teething or Being Picky?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 20:39:41 pm »
Sounds like teething to me really  ;).

Personally I think teething partly causes a lot of toddler eating issues though - even in those who do on to be horribly fussy eaters.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 00:41:51 am »
It was exactly this age we hit food issues. .... We still have them but honestly they seem to teeth the entire 1-2 years!  (well my monkey has)

FWIW 50% of the time I think teeth, and the other 50 I suspect typical toddler fussiness. I have found though, the more try to fix it, or stress over it, the worse Z is. Keep offering, and as long as over a few days yor LO eats a balanced diet then try not to stress too much.

ATM with a cutting canine Z will destroy toast, yogurt and bananas...that's it ::) I've found ways to 'sneak' anything neccersary in ie spinach in a toasted sandwich.

So happy to hear your post Liz, this is what I'm starting to feel...even if Z is going to be fussy, the teething process and age makes it impossible to really deal with.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 00:47:11 am »
Our DS is quite picky and not a very good eater...and honestly, he is cutting his canines right now (I can see a couple/few have broken the gum and they are all irritated) and right now he's really at his absolute worst for eating. Today was a particularly bad day.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 18:41:28 pm »
Not that I wish this on anyone, but it is good to hear I'm not alone. I know that he's teething, but it is tough because he will eat applesauce, but then he could eat crackers all day long. I will keep offering things and see how he does. The hard part is that I feel he's not getting enough food in general, not just well balanced. With the squeeze packs, I know he's at least getting some veggies, and some days he will eat garbanzo beans (we are vegan so meat and cheese are out).

It just feels like we have a tough week, then a good week, and then another tooth comes along to ruin our stride!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 19:42:20 pm »
FWIW we are also squeeze packing to get extra fruit and veg in when I worry. ;) Zonly seemsto want them when teething so I figure teeth are more atplaythan we sometimes think

Hang in there, I've heard that when they are 6-7 yrsold they go from being fussy to eating everything! ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline rlkoh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 13:52:57 pm »
My son won't eat anything that comes in a squeeze pack or appears to be a puree - no applesauce, no guacamole (which he used to love), no fruit packs, no yogurt, no dip of any kind whatsoever.  He started to refuse them after he got sick once around 10 months - he's 18 months and still refuses.  We try to not let it bother us and not make a big deal, we just wait a few days, or weeks, or even a month or so before we try again.
Michael Alexander 2.26.11
Ella Madeline expected soon! 11.21.12