Author Topic: whole milk makes DS go nuts. why does skimmed seem better?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline essexlemon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
whole milk makes DS go nuts. why does skimmed seem better?
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:15:01 am »
Sorry. Another allergy question for DS1.

We have lots of behaviour and sleep issues with DS1 which improved significantly when we switched to goats milk, which happened to be semi-skimmed because its all I could get my hands on at the time.

DH gave him some full fat cows milk a while ago in a moment of madness and he went absolutely nuts. Last night we ran out of semi skimmed goat milk and DH gave him full fat (goats) as he was demanding milk (he c.r.a.v.e.s the stuff) and I hadn't been able to get our usual semi skimmed so had bought full-fat for emergencies. He has been a lunatic since he started on the full fat. He also has bruising and some hives on his legs today (although they *could* be vasculitis related.

So, in short, he seems better on semi-skimmed goat milk than on semi-skimmed cow milk (although we still have some issues there is a vast improvement) but full-fat of any description makes him crazy (think 10 tubes of blue Smarties!).

I've been trying to work out (with some Google based research) whether that points more towards a lactose intolerance or MSPI or any explanaition of why full fat affects him so badly but I'm not getting very far and I know the ladies and gents here are very knowledgeable. I'm wondering if fat generally in his diet could cause issues. We eat fairly healthily but I don't actively restrict fat for him since he is growing and everything. The next logical step seems to be to switch to skimmed (which DH already has - I'm dairy free due to ED for DS2) but I don't want to cut that fat from his diet as he isn't getting cheese and yogurt atm.

Am I crazy. Is it possible to be more allergic to full fat than to skimmed?
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: whole milk makes DS go nuts. why does skimmed seem better?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:28 pm »
Not something I have come across  ???

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:23:29 pm »
I've never heard of diff responses due to fat content. If he is intolerant to cows milk, goats milk might also still be a problem. Have you tried other non-dairy milks? Coconut milk (the drinkable kind, not the canned one) is the one we use here. If he is getting hives, have you talked to your doc about seeing an allergist? Another thought... what would happen if you gave him a spoon full of oil? Wonder if you would get a similar response....

Anyways, sorry can't be of more help.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »
Have you tried diluting the full fat with water to see if it helps?  Full fat doesn 't just mean more fat.  It is everything less.  Perhaps he also has intolerances to goat's milk.  Are you able to try rice or almond milk? 

Offline essexlemon

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:11:29 am »
Thanks ladies.

Ice cream also makes him go super crazy but we thought it was the mix of cow milk and sugar.

Tried him on skimmed cow milk last night (DH's Idea. I'd rather stick with goat milk and then trial cows when he is on an even keal) and he didn't do too bad - three wake ups and seems less wired this morning.

I'll ask about dairy fat at our next hospital appointment and update as to whether it's a genuine possibility.
My husband is running 13.1 miles in the Great North Run in memory of my brother. Please can you help us raise funds for the Cardiomyopathy Association in his memory?
https://www.justgiving.com/RichardDahler/

Offline bug_blues70

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:39 pm »
http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/homogenization_T3.html

Check out this link and consider doing some more research on homogenization. I don't remember all the details and don't really have much time to research it, but I just remember DH talking once about how harmful the homogenization process can be and how hard the altered molecules can be to digest... HTH

Megan