Author Topic: 2 yo and eating veg  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
2 yo and eating veg
« on: August 08, 2012, 20:02:02 pm »
Just curious really about how good your 2 yo are at eating their veggies? DD is great if they are mixed into things and she will eat sweet corn, peas and carrots on their own. But apart from that she refuses to eat them. She will try them, which is great but them spits them out and won't have any more. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Any tips on how I can get her to actually like veggies on their own?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 2 yo and eating veg
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 20:05:31 pm »
Olly will eat peas, corn, broccoli, cucumber, avocado. Carrot when Nanny is here to impress her  ::)

Other than that, not so much!

I don't think it is unusual tbh. I struggle to find much other veg that DH and I would eat either!

What have you tried that has been rejected?

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 20:15:28 pm »
Oliver won't eat ANY veggies at all at home.  At nursery he will sometimes eat them.  At grandma's she mixes the veggies in with the mash & he wolfs it down but that trick doesn't work at home.  All I do is keep offering but it just goes in the bin!

So from where I'm standing it looks like she's doing okay!

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 20:22:26 pm »
I know I am a bit fussy with veg TBH, but I always eat it and make out how yummy it is to DD. We have tried broccoli, broad beans, French beans, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, peppers, tomato and celery. We have tried over and over again but no luck. DD will eat cauliflower cheese and any of these veg chopped up small and mixed in with other food. So if we have a roast dinner unless I chop it all up and mix with gravy or mash she will eat her potatoes, meat and carrots but nothing else.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 21:46:50 pm »
Well, I think I am much like her TBH! I am just not a fan of plain veg and so really need a sauce with mine too. I don't think it is anything to worry about mate x

How is she with things like swt pot/BN squash roasted fingers?

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:18:19 am »
Thanks hun. Yes she is like me too, that is why I worry as I am not a fan of veg really. DH is though so was hoping she would get that from him!  ;) Will try the BN squash and sweet potato because she loved those when she was younger actually but not had them for ages. So is it a bad idea to still be mixing up her food at this age though? She is fine with spag bol and things like that with hidden veggies but when we have a roast should I just keep offering her the veg or mix it all up do you think? Have visions of me still mixing her food at 10!

Offline rlkoh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 13:58:08 pm »
I just read "French Kids Eat Everything" and was really inspired to change how I present meals to my son.  She suggests keeping snacks at a minimum so kids come to the table hungry, and offering veggies as a first course before offering the more yummy stuff.  My son is only 17 months old but I found arranging the food to look more yummy has made a difference in his willingness to try something.  Just yesterday I got him to try some sauteed celery and he finally accepted strawberry jam on his toast (hoping to graduate to sandwiches soon).
Michael Alexander 2.26.11
Ella Madeline expected soon! 11.21.12

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 17:51:04 pm »
When you saying mixing it up, Do you mean like chopping a whole roast dinner up and mixing it all together?

Offline Bex09

• My world xx
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 20:26:53 pm »
Yes not mashing it but chopping and mixing it all together. Or should I just settle for serving the veg she will eat?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 20:38:31 pm »
I would serve food that you know she will eat on it's own. Even if it is alongside the rest mixed up to start with.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 20:40:05 pm »
if it is any console, the very strict old school carers of DS's said to me, "he wont eat veg?  it is to do with the age.  200g veg per day?  yeah perhaps for all the 3yo added up together!" lol   

best of luck with what you are going to try.  :)