Author Topic: 9mo not drinking enough milk  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Samjheywood

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Ben - 19.11.14
9mo not drinking enough milk
« on: August 13, 2012, 13:55:12 pm »
Hi there,

My DS will be 9mo next week and for the last few weeks he has been gradually reducing his milk intake. He has 4 bottles per day 630, 1030, 1430, 1830, around these times.

On a good day he will take 15oz, a bad day 10oz. He is just not interested anymore. He used to take 7/8oz bottles and these have gradually reduced since having solids. He has 3 meals per day and i usually give the milk 1hr before the solids.

I can usually get 3-5oz in for the morning and evening bottle but the two day ones are very hard. I've tried reducing to 3 with the day one after lunch but he isn't that bothered by this either even though he has gone from 630 till 2ish with only 1 bottle!

He is teething, getting his 2 front top teeth and the fang tooth all at the same time but he has a total of 6 teeth so far and has never gone so low on his milk intake before. He just seems to prefer solid food and water rather than milk nowadays.

Any suggestions?
Samantha

~Carly~

Re: 9mo not drinking enough milk
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 14:05:34 pm »
I don't know how many oz they need at that age, but you might want to talk to your pediatrician and see how much he should be getting.  If his intake is way below what he needs, you might have to cut down on solids.  I believe that milk/formula are supposed to be the main source of nutrition until 1yo.  Also, have you tried offering it in a sippy cup?  He might take more if it is 'fun' :)

Offline Samjheywood

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Ben - 19.11.14
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 14:22:53 pm »
I have tried cutting back on solids and this hasn't really resulted in more milk intake, he just pushes the bottle away before even trying it, telling me he just doesn't want it and then winges because he's hungry. He even refused to go to bed the other night and I had to feed him more solids before he would go to sleep.

He has water in his sippy cup and I've tried swapping this for milk, one sip and he realises its not his water and doesn't want it!

Not sure what else to try?
Samantha

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 15:21:42 pm »
Between 6 months and 1 year they need a minimum of 20oz of milk but this can include the dairy in food. If you have tried faster teats, different milk temps, pain meds or teething gel just before a feed and dropping to 3 bottles and reducing solids a bit then you need to get as much dairy into his solids as you can!

Are you giving snacks between feeds as well as meals? How much is he actually eating at a meal?

Laura

Offline Samjheywood

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Ben - 19.11.14
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 18:43:36 pm »
I didn't count dairy in food!

I will also try faster teats, we are currently using Dr Browns size 3, have the 4 but tried a few weeks ago and felt they were too fast but I'll try these again.

I only give him snacks if he won't have the milk, maybe fruit or corn/rice snacks.

A typical day looks something like this-

Breakfast
1 weetabix with 2oz of cows milk
1 piece of toast or pot of fruit (3oz approx)

Dinner
1 jar of food e.g. Spaghetti carbonara (180-200g - 5oz)
Yoghurt (50g)

Tea
1 pot of food e.g. Cottage pie (4/5oz)
Fruit or yoghurt (3oz)

Do you think that makes me more upto 20z?

Samantha

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 19:41:29 pm »
That's a fair amount of food for his age - my 5yo only has 1 weetabix for breakfast!

I would swap his jarred lunch foor for finger foods and see if that means he takes a better bottle in the afternoon. So do wake up bottle, breakfast (maybe cut the weetabix down a bit), finger food lunch, bottle before PM nap, tea then bedtime bottle. I wouldn't offer snacks if he doesn't have milk as you want him to be hungry for milk.

I would pull lunch a bit earlier if you can too so there is a bit of time before his afternoon nap and then depending on what time you do tea make that a little earlier to give him as much time as possible before his bedtime milk.

You are probably just about at 20oz a day if he is drinking 15oz, but it's worth trying to up the liquid oz a bit.

Laura

Offline Samjheywood

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Ben - 19.11.14
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:19:36 am »
Ok, thanks. I'll give that a try and see how we go.

I didn't think that would be too much food. When you buy baby food, the jars are huge so I just assumed he should be eating that size of portion!
Samantha

Offline Lolly

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:37:56 am »
Some babies will eat that much and drink good quantities of milk too - but if the milk intake is suffering it's worth looking at the food because as PP said milk should be their main source of nutrition until 1. There are more nutrients, essential fats and calories in  baby milk than in the quantities of food they eat at this age!

Laura

Offline maddlies

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 02:28:44 am »
Your situation is actually the same as mine, my wee man is 9 month old and refuses bottle, hes teething aswell. I saw my docter as i could hardly get any milk into him! He said to make sure he is only have 1/4 to 1/2 cup solids a meal and try milk before meals. here my lo routine

E: 0700 6-7oz formula
    0800 1/2 cup Porriage/or muesli
A: 2 hours 30 mis
S: 0920-1045

E: currently refusing 11am bottle
    1130: 1/2 cup solids (usually yogurt or fruity meal)
A: 2 and a half to three hours
S: 1.20-2.45
E: :6oz at 3.15pm
     1/4 cup solids at 4.45pm
A   2 hours
S:  30 min catnap
E:  6oz at 6.30pm
bedtime 7pm with 1030pm dreamfeed

i am about to try finger food with my lo, as when i feed him from the jars he keeps going and going. note jars in nz are onyl 110g quantities

Good luck!