Author Topic: Support for parents of carseat haters  (Read 18823 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
Re: Support for parents of carseat haters
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 13:40:19 pm »
I thought all babies liked the car! 

Yeah...and all babies 'just sleep' and all babies 'just eat' and all babies 'love the stroller and to go for walks' and all babies 'like babywearing' and and and lol  Mmm hmm. 

(((hugs))) another car seat hater here, but he did grow out of it...it got better when he was forward facing.  For the first year we would almost always get a scream down.  Ugh.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline ~Lori~

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 17:51:09 pm »
To give you hope, it seems over the past couple weeks that DS2 has become sooooo much better in the carseat.  We survived a 3hr trip out of town and he did so good.  Didn't sleep a whole bunch (maybe 20 min??) but was content and only fussed a bit.

Em, I got soooo frustrated that I couldn't take J out in the stroller b/c he's be freaking out in the carseat attachment.  Just recently, I strapped him in to the front part (without the carseat) and reclined it a bit and he now LOVES his stroller.  So we are finally able to go for walks without being "worn" and GASP he has even fallen asleep in the stroller this way now.

Hang in there!!!
Mom to:

DD--Touchy, then Textbook, 2006
DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 20:09:39 pm »
I am an old hand at this one  :P.

DD improved in the buggy once she could sit up and look out forwards - before it was just a complete no-go-disaster. She slept on her belly, she simply would not be strapped almost flat on her back for a stroll.

She did stop screaming blue murder in the car seat, but she is still a PITA really. Drops stuff and screams until I fetch it, won't sleep, fusses for this that and the other.

She is 2+ now.

Clearly was a personality thing - plus her reflux/MSPI.

She hates being strapped down and these days she stand in the buggy when I push it  :-[ ::) ::), and I let her free from the HC at only 15 mths as she was just crying in there.

I think these may be life's free spirits.......  ;)

(((hugs))) ladies. It really is horrid when they are like that in the car  :(.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 02:20:59 am »
Lori, that does give me hope!  I have thought I could just put DD in the stroller strapped in forward facing, but I think she is still too little.  Maybe in another month or so I can!

I think DS2 just hated it because of the reflux, but once he started feeling better and getting stronger he was fine and in fact is still fine in the car and in the stroller.  He is 2yrs 4mos and will happily sit in the stroller without asking to get out for all walks.  Yesterday I did that postnatal bootcamp and we weren't walking, just working out outside, and he sat there in the stroller for 45mins with his snack and not a peep out of him!  :o

I sure hope DD isn't one to hate it long term.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 02:29:42 am »
and he sat there in the stroller for 45mins with his snack and not a peep out of him!
Wow...they can do that? LOL

I'm sure she'll grow out of it once she's old enough to be entertained by her brothers :D
The tweaking never stops!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 04:05:37 am »
DS has a love/hate relationship with the carseat.

If we're going to the park, he'll climb in himself and try to strap himself in :P

Back when he was a baby, he hated it - didn't like that he couldn't see out, also got really hot and taking all that comfy but not actually necessary for safety padding out helped as he could move around a bit and wasn't so hot.

Forward facing was a revelation for us, but he does still want to get out of the straps within 10mins of getting in, if he was ok with getting into the seat in the first place. He strains against the straps, etc - just hates being confined.

He also screamed in the stroller til he hit 12 months when he started associating it with the park - we only took him to the park in it and that was only a 5 minute walk :) Now he climbs in to tell us its time to go to the park :P