Author Topic: Portion sizes  (Read 4026 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Portion sizes
« on: August 15, 2012, 14:02:44 pm »
Hi, DD is 7m & 1w.  Started weaning just before 6m.  She's currently having breakfast and lunch (solids an hour or so after milk) plus 4 breastfeeds/day (recently dropped her night feed herself).  She's taken to solids very well and I'm not sure she has an 'off switch' - just keeps opening her mouth for more!!

What is an appropriate portion size for a baby of this age?  Because I'm BF I can't tell if she's reducing her milk intake and don't want to overfeed her on solids - I know she needs the majority of her nutrition from her milk.

Thanks

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 17:02:35 pm »
Hi JM

What a coincidence! I just started stressing about solids today too! It's always something or another isn't it? Lol
aishi :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Portion sizes
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 21:36:58 pm »
I think the general rule of thumb is feed the till they are full but I didn't do that with Olly as he would just never stop eating as wouldn't have his milk. So I did limit his solids a bit. It is trial and error really. As long as they are getting enough milk (I know it is hard to know when you BF) then keep offering solids.

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 19:00:30 pm »
have the same wondering myself!!!i'm giving 2 oz fruit & veg at breakfast & lunch plus 1 tblsp cereal at the moment...just coz that's what my sister did with her DS!!!contemplating introducing a 3rd meal coz she's finishing those amounts....

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 14:16:24 pm »
I am also struggling with this question as I have a refluxer who sometimes eats for comfort.

I generally offer him solids after he drinks his bottles. He's down to three per day on his own but is sucking them dry so I tend to offer him solids right after. I am also having to tinker with thickening his bottles and sometimes use rice cereal (pediatrician and OT/PT recommended)which turns out to be alot.  Still it seems he could eat and eat but then will spit up or become so bloated. I guess I'm going to have to keep winging it.  :( This is so hard.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 14:25:23 pm »
((Hugs)) Amanda have you checked out the info on the reflux board??  Might be worth posting over there as I know many mums with refluxers have issues when it comes to introducing solids too and may be able to give you better advice.  Rice cereal can be really hard to digest and there are some other (better) options for thickeners - have you tried any?  The one thing I would say is that 3 bottles seems pretty low for a 6mo.......most solids at this age don't have the calories of milk  :-\  Does he refuse to have any more?

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 01:10:00 am »
Hi Amanda,
I also agree with JM ... Can you get 4 bottles in throughout the day, or offer one as a DF? What happens if you offer solids 45 mins or so later once the milk has started to digest? also agree with trying an alt to the rice Cerial
Hugs
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:57:57 am »
hey all....just wondering re portion sizes again....have ye upped amounts?or added a 3rd solid meal?
amanda-hope things settle down.xxx

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:02:45 am »
Yep we've just added 3rd meal this week, am just feeding until she seems full (within reason!)

Offline *happy*

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:10:56 am »
might be time for me to add that 3rd meal too!!!!we've been all overthe place feeding-wise with the allergy so i'd kind of forgotten about it!!!DD gulps down fruit & would eat 10oz of it if i let her but it's a battle to finish the 2oz of veg!!!well...nto exactly a battle...she still opens her mouth etc but it takes forever!!!!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:46:45 am »
We have to hide the yoghurt until DD has finished her veggies..........

Offline *happy*

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:57:13 am »
havent tried yoghurt yet-had bought some last week to try but then along came the rash so no new foods for over a week now :(

Offline Aishi

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 13:36:01 pm »
We've started 3 meals too-not huge portions though-dd has always been a light feeder. She's having 24-28oz milk in 24 hrs- no nf plus solids 3xs. How much milk are your lo's having? X

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 13:51:11 pm »
I breastfeed - she has 4 feeds per day (no NF for last month) plus 3 solid meals

Offline *happy*

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 14:22:57 pm »
i EBF for the first 6mo & i'm sort of weaning since then....i was down to 1 BF but had to take a step back and move back to 2 for awhile (but now back to 1 BF again!) cause of allergy issues (cause still unknown...grrr!). She dropped the DF herself 10 days ago so we are on 4 feeds now-3 bottles & a morning BF. the bottles tend to be 6-7oz...hard to know though cause we have been around the bush with the whole bottle-thing!i think i'll start 3 feeds next week so (we have 2 weddings this weekend so don't want to put my parents through it!!!) Are ye doing BLW?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 14:33:27 pm »
Are ye doing BLW?
No, we're doing purees plus some finger foods, both of which DD really loves.  DH's work makes it difficult for us to eat meals as a family a lot of the time, so the BLW philosophy didn't really fit for us.  I try to eat lunch with DD and we do meals together at the weekends.

Offline *happy*

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 14:37:47 pm »
ya,neither are we.i'm too much fo a control freak if im honest!!!!any tips of what finger foods i could do?haven't tried them either!!!really have to get my act in gear!!!

Offline Aishi

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 14:41:43 pm »
We're not doing BLW either...but am giving normal food slightly mashed.... Which she's been fine with and finger foods to play with- she doesn't really eat the finger food yet :)

Offline *happy*

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 14:43:42 pm »
what have you tried?really really need to get movign on them!

Offline Aishi

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 14:59:30 pm »
Finger foods-chunks of ripe fruit e.g avocado,banana, pear, plums, toast fingers, chapatti, pasta spirals etc. And then just whatever I'm having mashed for meals (- salt of course!)

Offline *happy*

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 15:10:13 pm »
i have some ripe bananas....she's eaten it quote happily mashed so i might try her with that.excuse my dopey-ness,but what shape are your "chunks"!!!!i'm petrified of her choking having seen a small baby choking a couple of years ago. (baby was fine, thank goodness but everyone in the restaurant got such a fright)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 15:16:46 pm »
Finger-shaped sticks of fruit/veg or large chunks (about an inch square) of things like bread.  Remember - gagging and coughing are NOISY and NORMAL when LO is learning to chew and swallow ;)  Choking tends to be quiet and is (thankfully) more uncommon.  You could always do a quick basic life support course if it would put your mind at rest?

Offline *happy*

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 15:20:15 pm »
we did a paediatric one while i was pregnant & i've done the normal basic first aid one through work....god know how much i'd remember though if i ever needed it.fingers crossed we never will.do ye feed first & tehn give finger foods or the other way around?

(ps...slightly off topic,but do i take it we all have sleeping babies right now?!)

Offline Aishi

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 15:40:42 pm »
Feed first then finger food :)

Sleep? Heck no! Still hit and miss- night sleep was good last night cos of EBT but naps are weird which as we all know affects night sleep. I increased first at to 3h40 (which is crazy high for 7 month old) and she slept 1h20-UT again!!
Wu 7.10
Nap1 10.50-12.10
Nap 2 3.55-
Will wake by 5.15 if she not up so BT can be 7.15...So think I'll do 3h50 tom and hope for a 2 hr nap and a pm CN.

Dyt a 4-3-2 AT can work for me? Sorry for hijacking post! Will ask in naps too :)

Offline *happy*

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 15:47:27 pm »
i def read somewhere that some LOs do that type of 4-3-2 day. We def have a shorter last A time, some days it's closer to 2 than 3. have you ever had a successful day nap-wise that you could try & copy? Could you increase the A level maybe?just thinking, my LO def does better naps if i stimulate her more but keep the A time more or less the same?hard to get the balance right though without getting OS!!!

Offline Aishi

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 16:05:09 pm »
I don't think OS makes much of a diff...I'm ashamed to admit I have tv on for ds :/ and it doesn't make a diff to sleeps...I think il may try a 4-3-2 im just worried a short at to bed may result in EW or cot parties! But if last nap is 1h or less than that should mean a 2hr at to bed will be ok right?

Offline *happy*

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 16:57:27 pm »
i would think so ya....fingers crossed for you later!x