Author Topic: should i introduce a 3rd solid feed?  (Read 2564 times)

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
should i introduce a 3rd solid feed?
« on: August 19, 2012, 19:08:39 pm »
trying to decide the next step....
currently, my 7MO is having 2 solid feeds a day. she refused the DF the night before last & i didnt offer it last night & she went through till morning. am a little worried that her milk intake might have dropped. her feeds are:
E 7am (6 oz BM in a bottle)
E 8am (1 oz veg, 1 oz fruit, 1tblsp quinoa cereal)

E 11.30am (4oz formula, 2 oz BM in a bottle...working on increasing FF...just starting to do the swapover)
E 12.30pm (1oz veg,1oz fruit)

E 4.00pm (6oz BM in a bottle)

E 6.30pm (BF)

used to do DF at 10.30pm

This is day 3 of formula.

she's finished the solid feeds at each meal.
should i introduce a 3rd?
TIA!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 19:43:34 pm »
Without the DF she's still getting about 24oz of milk so that is pretty good.  Is she draining the bottles at the minutes? 

Offline *happy*

Re: should i introduce a 3rd solid feed?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 19:47:51 pm »
yup!!!!she wouldnt leave a drop if she had the choice!i was only giving her 5 oz but chanced her with 6 then!im really only just getting my head around the whole bottle thing having spent 6mo BFing!(we've been weaning to bottles the past month) I'm gonna try her with  a5oz bottle of formula tomorrow i think...it's all too complicated!!!!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 19:54:55 pm »
If she is draining bottles then you need to add another oz.  The idea is that it should be similar to BFing in that they should stop drinking when they are full up not because it is empty KWIM?  So they are still eating to appetite? 

I would add another oz to those bottles and then maybe try another solid meal in a week?  Prob about 5pm so she is still hungry enough for that BT BF.

Does that make sense?  At this age anything over 20oz of milk is grand but average is about 26-32 oz so she can have more without it being an issue at all. 

Offline *happy*

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 19:56:54 pm »
ya,see i was doing that initially,but i found that she was spewing up LOADS when she was having 7 or 8 oz!!!!hmmm...that was probably a month ago though so maybe i should try 7 oz in the morning bottle & see how that goes?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 20:07:08 pm »
Ah!  Well obviously you don't want that.  Maybe try 7 and see how it goes.  If she is droppign her DF it would be good to replace the calories anyways so she keeps sleeping through. 

Offline *happy*

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 20:10:54 pm »
i'm all confused as to whether or not i should be trying to do the DF or not...WWYD?she point blank refused the night before last & i didnt offer then last night.

i am only BFing at BT & DF...other 3 feeds are bottles. I read somewhere that BF babies don't realise when they are full from bottles as quick as they would if fed from the breast-that's why i had brought the feed to 6oz.i'll def try 7oz tomorrow morning though&see what happens.

thanks for your advice btw....feeling a tad overwhelmed ATM!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 20:21:08 pm »
I read somewhere that BF babies don't realise when they are full from bottles as quick as they would if fed from the breast-that's why i had brought the feed to 6oz
I have read that too actually.  That it is easier to feed from a bottle so they just keep sucking.  Maybe try 7oz and if she spews just keep it at 6oz.

With the DF if she refused then didn't wake I would maybe leave it for tonight and to see if she goes through again. 

feeling a tad overwhelmed ATM!
HUGS xxx  I feel that way all the time.   Thats why this site is invaluable.  Always someone with advice ready to share!

Offline *happy*

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 06:15:45 am »
thanks.xxxx

i had started a thread on the DF elsewhere,but seen as i have your eyes here, WWYD?

another relatively quiet night.i heard  her around 1.50am&she woke chatting&babbling @ 6am, but i left her to see what would happen & she must have nodded off again (i did!) after a while cause she started it again @ 6.55am,but this time with the "get up parents!" moan....DH feeding her now...trying her out with 7oz this morning to see what happens...

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 07:00:46 am »
Hi

Sorry to butt in on your post but I'm a bit confused wrt solids too. If she's taking minimum 20oz formula per day and solids for breakfast and lunch that's enough milk? Also how many tbs mate equivalent to an ounce?

Tia
aishi :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 07:06:00 am »
The 20oz is the MINIMUM they need from 6 months to 1 year - more is better! If they are cutting their milk in favour of solids it's best to drop the solids a bit to get more milk in.

You can count the dairy in food towards the 20oz - for example the oz of milk in  their cereal, any cheese or yoghurt. However, if they don't eat all you prepare they won't meet their minimum which is why it's better to get more than 20oz of liquid milk into them and then any in their solids is a bonus!

HTH

Laura

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:18:31 am »
It does thanks!
aishi :)

Offline *happy*

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:03:52 am »
glad to see i'm not the only one confused!!! :)
i'm not gonna do the 3rd feed for now....i've given her 7oz BM in a bottle this morning ,plus 1 oz BM mixed in with solids so far.....polished the lot off!!!
i've given her 4oz formula at the next feed for teh past 2 days (just introducing it the past 4 days).How much would you give today?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:41:51 am »
If she was good with a 7oz bottle I would do the same again - if she can take 7oz at a feed and keeps it down then that's what she needs!

I would give her a few days at 7oz and if she is keeping it down fine and draining the bottles you can add another oz.

Laura

Offline *happy*

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 09:30:58 am »
that's 7oz BM i gave her....would it be a big jump from 4oz to 7 oz of formula?when she was spewing,it wasnt straight away-it was at the BT feed when i was doing a BF!i figured it was an accumulation of too much during the day?she literally NEVER spewed even the teeniest bit when i was EBF!