Author Topic: Talk to me about yoghurt.....  (Read 1401 times)

Offline babymunkey

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Helen.....call me H
Talk to me about yoghurt.....
« on: August 19, 2012, 20:10:42 pm »
I haven't given much yogurt to B yet - other solids are going really well - anything that comes in range on a spoon or by hand goes in!!

I stopped buying "kids" yogurts a long time ago as they are (IMO!) such a rip off compared to buying the stuff in the large pots that we eat. I know you can buy special baby yogurts that have fruit juice in instead of added sugar as a sweetener, but again they are mega expensive.

So what do you guys do? I'm thinking I'm just going to give her the stuff we eat - most of the rest of her diet is home made purees, mushed up servings of whatever we eat, which again is all home cooked. So I'm not worried she's taking on loads of sugar elsewhere and ultimately she's going to end up eating the same yogurt as us anyway.....

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Talk to me about yoghurt.....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 20:13:30 pm »
Stan and Audrey just have plain natural yoghurt - with or without fruit chopped in. ITA with the rip off kids yoghurts.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 20:19:52 pm »
I would just go with ordinary yoghurts - I tried plain yoghurts with fruit for the girls but they just wouldn't eat it when they were little. They have started to like it recently, though - and I love the fact that plain yoghurt with dried fruit is a treat dessert that they beg for!

We tend to get the basics range of yoghurts - the fromage frais has less sugar and more fruit than any of the other varieties, and they are very cheap!

Offline babymunkey

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Helen.....call me H
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 20:35:05 pm »
Thanks girls - I have these moments when I think I just need to sanity check my thinking. I remember you said that before Clare now. H has plain or vanilla yoghurt with honey in so as soon as B can have honey I'll give her that too....

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 21:57:22 pm »
Whether it's sugar or honey or fruit juice, it all metabolizes as sugar. The big exception is high fructose corn syrup - avoid that like the plague. Agave is also way high in fructose. :-/ Plain yogurt with the barest minimum of sweetening you can get away with works here. And we can sweeten a large bowl with a drop or two of liquid stevia extract, which is no sugat at all.

That juice-sweetened kid stuff is mostly an excuse to charge way too much for stuff by making you think it's  significantly healthier than sugar, but compare the grams of sugars per serving sometime between kid n adult yogurts. Also, avoid artificial colors like the plague. Oooh, plain yogurt with a bit of fruit jam/preserves is yummy too; just watch the sugar content of the jam as well.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 22:01:04 pm by deb »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:51:14 am »
Hi H, olly has plain soy yoghurt with fruit mixed in, we gave him the normal fruit yogurts when he was younger but had long NWs which I put down to the high sugar levels.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:51:39 am »
DS eats plain natural yoghurt unsweetened.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:37:45 am »
We use plain 10% fat yogurt here. Cadan didn't used to like it as a baby but now he will eat lots and Colby loves it. I either give it unsweetened or mash a banana into it as a special treat. Sugar is just empty calories but at least the whole fruit has some nutrients in it too.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011