Author Topic: 5 month old not eathing enough!!  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Aimee_B

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old not eathing enough!!
« on: August 20, 2012, 21:20:08 pm »
My daughter is 5 months old and for the past 6 weeks she has been having a hard time eating.(and she has always had a problem with bowel movements)  She was breast fed for 5.5 weeks and then put on formula.  She ate great on the bottle and at 7 weeks old she was down to one feeding at night.  Then it all changed.

She started to refuse the bottle at 4 months.  She will take little sips (about 0.5 oz) every 15ish minutes.  I have kept a log of how much she eats each day and how long it takes her to eat it.   It usually takes her 2 hours to finish a 4oz bottle and that is with me constantly trying to feed her.  She was in the 17% for her weight and has since dropped to the 9%.  She only weighed 11lbs 14oz at 4 months and the most formula I can get her to drink each day is 20-24oz.

I changed her formula to a lactose free, with no change.  I tried a faster flow nipple, no change.  I have tried to feed her in a quiet dark room, no change.  I have let her cry and wait to make sure she was really hungry and still she only at 0.5 oz.  The strange part is that at night she will eat a 6oz bottle in 10 minutes with NO fussing!!!!  I gave her some rice cereal to help her sleep at night but that made her extremely constipated so we have changed to oatmeal.  She still has so much trouble going #2 and it has become firm, almost like she is a little dehydrated.

During the day she is so fussy and seems to be hungry, but just won't eat. Our nights are really really bad.  Some nights I am up with her every 45 minutes.  I am lucky if I can get 5hrs of sleep.

I just don't know what to do.  We have a doctors apt. tomorrow and I am really hoping she can tell me what is going on but just in case I thought it would be nice to hear from other moms. 

Can anyone help?  I read the post on DYSPHAGIA.... could that be a possibility?

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: 5 month old not eathing enough!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 21:25:50 pm »
Stop the cereal right away for sure.. no nutrition to it and will constipate if she isn't drinking enough as it is... 

Given that she drinks fine at night, it's not likely to be a physical concern hun...  The constipation could well be the reason that she is refusing to take a bottle.  Been there!  I landed in the ER with DD at 8 months due to constipation that was awful. 

I would start with adding extra water to her bottles to see if you can get a bit more into her and get that poop moving... you could try the brown sugar trick.. works like an osmotic laxative and was suggested by my doc to help without the use of meds... one ounce of warm water + 1 tsp of brown sugar (white will work in a pinch)... give every 4 hrs until baby poops... lots of legs movements to help too!  Massage tummy clockwise...

Offline Aimee_B

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:08:02 am »
Thanks for the advice.  We have been doing the massage and working the legs lots.  The doctor didn't really help much and just told me to put prune juice in her bottle.  I loaded her up today and just a little poop!  I might have to try the sugar and water.... just not sure when I would do that as I already struggle to get her to drink her formula.  I am starting to get even more worried as her diaper is not as wet as usual and today her eating was even worse.

At what point do I consider taking her to the ER for not pooping and having a dry diaper?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 15:00:52 pm »
Quote from: Aimee_B link=topic=241563.msg2569277#msg2569277 date=1345691282
At what point do I consider taking her to the ER for not pooping and having a dry diaper?
[/quote

That's your call I'm afraid - if you think she needs to be seen then take her in. Always better to be safe than sorry - that's what Drs get paid for!

How much has she had today? Has she been checked for reflux at all - I think that's more likely than dysphagia.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:19:22 am »
I took my daughter to the ER when she wasn't eating more than 10 ozs in 24 hrs for a week.... she was screaming every single time she saw a bottle... was clearly hungry but just would not eat a thing... if she woke in the night, she still wouldn't take more than an ounce... this was a baby who guzzled a 4 oz bottle at 5 days old.  It was a drastic change from her normal behaviour and my mommy radar was full force. 

That said, she was still pooping "normally" but was very constipated.

If she isn't peeing, I would take her in.