Author Topic: 3 + year old only wants snacks and treats  (Read 2395 times)

Offline peacefulwarrior

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 + year old only wants snacks and treats
« on: August 20, 2012, 21:57:44 pm »
My daughter has always been a great eater and off the charts for weight and height.  Recently though she has stopped wanting to eat anything that isn't a "snack" or a "treat".  For example, she says "I don't like oatmeal, I don't like blueberries" etc.  She says that to whatever we are having, even though she has enjoyed them in the past.
I think my husband and I have done some accidental parenting because we've made her other meals if she doesn't like what we're having (we'll make her eggs and toast instead of veggie lasagna).  But now we are fed up!  haha
Any thoughts on what we should do?
PS She really doesn't get that much processed sugar, even though snacks and treats imply it.  Snacks are usually fruit and a treat might be a ginger cookie.
Thanks a lot!
Monica

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: 3 + year old only wants snacks and treats
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 22:29:05 pm »
Hi there, ugh this is such a tricky one isn't it because you don't want your DD to go hungry but also don't want to be giving in to the snacking option either. Could you maybe stick with whatever is for meals and if she doesn't eat that hold off giving anything else until later? So if she doesn't eat her tea don't offer an alternative or make a fuss just say that is what is for tea. Then you could offer toast and fruit or cereal before bed. Then it isn't like an alternative to her meal but she won't go hungry yk? She will hopefully soon realise that she isn't going to get her treat type snacks instead of what you have cooked. What do you think?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:46 am »
You could try these:
1. if/when she won't eat her given meal put it to one side and later when she says she is hungry and wants a snack off her that meal back again (I know my DS is much younger but I serve his food onto one plate and he eats off another.  I put a small amount on his eating plate but he can see that there is more if he wants it.  This way the entire plate of food isn't 'messed' up and the remainder can be safely saved as it has no saliva on it to form bacteria).  You might have to expect that she doesn't eat much for a few days though.  I think at 3+ it is more acceptable to let her go a bit hungry until she decides to take her offered meals.  I also plan our meals so that there is definitely something DS recognizes and likes which isn't making him a different meal but planning our meals to allow for his tastes as well as mine.
2. Reduce snack sizes.  So if she gets a snack of an apple to get her through to lunch time I'd reduce to half or quarter of an apple and then tell her when lunch is and that she will need to wait for it.  Obviously you get to decide what a reasonable size snack is depending how long it is to the next meal.
3. When it is convenient to do so give her an option for the whole family meal.  So asking should we have x or y today (just 2 options and both of them are acceptable to the rest of the family) and let her pick.  Then everyone gets that.  This could help her feel more empowered and included in the decision.  Or just ask which sides to have with the meal, 'should we have chips or garlic bread with our lasagne?' or 'should we have peas or sweetcorn with our pie?' etc.

Sometimes I remind myself of what I saw in Kenya.  Kids, like adults, get to eat when there is food, full stop.  If there is plenty of food everyone eats more, when there is less food everyone eats less.  Homes don't have a stock pile of food just waiting to be snacked on.  The cupboards are literally bare until someone shops for that day, that meal.  I ask myself how I would deal with DS's requests for snacks in that situation.  I'm not talking about undernourished or starving kids either, reasonably well off families that eat proper meals every day still don't stock pile on snacks or alternative options like we do.
I think there are many things like this where we as parents need to change our own behaviour if we want our children to change theirs.  it's how we approach the requests or food rejection.  Being sympathetic towards her desires/feelings but firm that the meal is the meal, the snack is smaller and the food cupboards are not there to provide every option but to store food for other meals.

Good luck, I'm not looking forward to the time when DS reaches the fussy eating phase.

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:43:30 am »
DS1 goes through this similar stage every once in awhile.  Supper is the meal I really stand my ground for and if he doesn't want to eat it, then he doesn't eat anything else until breakfast the next day.  Usually he will eventually eat at least some of the meal, but there have been times that he doesn't eat anything until breakfast the next day and he has been just fine  ;)  At this stage you really don't need to worry about them "starving" so don't fret about standing your ground with this!

Em has some awesome ideas below as well!!
-Nadia