Author Topic: Suddenly refusing the bottle... I am clueless : (  (Read 2283 times)

Offline lidiayy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Suddenly refusing the bottle... I am clueless : (
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:08:44 am »
Dd2 is 10 mo and has taken two bottles of milk when at daycare. I work full time so I feed her first thing in the morning and at bedtime. The two bottles used to be of my milk until three weeks ago, when we introduced formula for her 3rd feed of the day. two weeks ago she got sick of a tummy bug and started to refuse the bottle.
The caregivers offered her the milk in a silly cup and she took it. The next day she totally refused.
We tried mixing formula with my milk, giving only my milk, only formula, nothing works!
During the weekend, she nurses from me so I assume she wants her milk portion for the day.
Does anybody have an experience on this? What can I do? I am freaking out to think that if I quit nursing her, she won't take milk anymore...

Mods: please feel free to move his if it's not a bottle feeding subject.

Thanks in advance

L.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Suddenly refusing the bottle... I am clueless : (
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 22:41:06 pm »
I would try a straw.  Rather than shell out on a straw cup for it to go unused just use a regular drinking straw (cut down to length if needed.  I used the little bendy ones on the side of small juice packs to begin with).  Suck the milk into the straw yourself and put your finger over the end.  Then let her put the other end in her mouth and release your finger so she gets a taste and reaslies to suck (this isn't always necessary).  She would need someone to help her probably as dealing with a straw and cup straight off at 10 month is tricky.

You could also give her solids dairy at the day care, yogurt, cheese chunks, cottage cheese, cream cheese sandwiches... instead of the milk.
My guess is that she wants the milk when you are available to give it and maybe happy to go without when you aren't giving it.  Dairy is important but as she gets closer to 12 months it's ok to reduce some and solids dairy always counts towards the daily intake.

I would imagine she really enjoys the bf and will continue to want it for as long as it is offered, even when she no longer really really needs to be bf.

Offline lidiayy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:34:58 am »
Thanks, C! I haven't thought about trying a straw. I think it's worth a try.
The past two days, the caregivers offered her my milk in her juice sippy cup. At first, she was frustrated and moaning just to see the cup. They tried to leave the cup on the stroller tray for a while as to avoid stressing her up.
After about 50 minutes, she grabbed the sippy cup and drank my milk.
This afternoon, they gave her the first bottle with my milk, which she accepted after staring at the sippy cup for about 40 minutes. About 4 hours later, they tried to offer formula, which she totally refused.
I agree with you, maybe she enjoys the BF and will continue to refuse the bottle? ??? 

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 07:00:59 am »
She's shown she'll take a sippy or bottle when she really really wants the milk so I would let the day care continue to offer it.  Maybe try the straw too.  Or an open cup (like a doidy) if the staff don't mind the extra time/help needed.
There is so much more to bf than just milk, I'm really not surprised that any child would continue for as long as it is offered.  I would offer additional dairy solids on the day care days and (assuming you want to) continue with the additional bf on the weekends.

I've seen lots of threads with LOs unhappy to take milk (whether bm or formula) from sippy cups etc.  Including mine.  I couldn't afford for him to drop his milk intake (formula) as it was already low so continued with the bottle until about 13 months when I moved his main milk drink to a straw, he will take a decent (ish) amount this way.  I also continued to give him a sippy of milk with his evening meal...many months on I can say if he really wants it he'll take 2oz but usually it's more like 1oz.

Offline lidiayy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 21:24:12 pm »
It's interesting to see because nutrition for babies vary from country to country... My DD's doctor hasn't allowed DD2 to eat cheese, yogurt etc.
I spoke to her about DD2's refusal. We had started with a regular formula for older babies (stage 2 - Nestle NAN) and she was taking 4-5 Oz/day before her tummy bug issue. The doctor indicated the Similac  Sensitive (very expensive as it's a lactose free formula) and I think it's such a waste to prepare 3-5 Oz and offer to her and she simply doesn't take it! :(

I am trying to pump but since my body had already understood that she wasn't nursing during the day on weekdays, it's hard to get enough for the next day portion.
Ugh! Don't know what to do... I am dreading starting another week as I only have 2 bags of 4 Oz each for monday and tuesday's bottle.  :'(

Offline augustvirgo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:58:34 am »
Hi - i am having the exact same experience. My daughter, 7.5months old, has been refusing bottle for the last few weeks, especially formula (she takes the bottle with BM after trying hard for a few times but she does notake formula AT ALL). i was looking at your particular forum hoping to get some insight to solve this problem.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:00:38 am »
It's interesting to see because nutrition for babies vary from country to country... My DD's doctor hasn't allowed DD2 to eat cheese, yogurt etc.
OK.  In the UK we give cheese, yogurt and can cook with cow's milk from 6 months (cow's milk not to be used for main drink though) but I understand your reluctance to introduce dairy solids if it is not the norm where you are.
Do you not give solids which include milk, butter, fromage frais, yogurt, cream cheese etc at all then?

I'm not sure what to suggest.  At almost 11 months I'm thinking you don't have too long to go before dairy solids are possible (assuming you introduce at 12 months).  If she is lactose intolerant (did you cut out dairy from your won diet whilst bf?) maybe look into what other milks are available (such as coconut milk) and perhaps try one of these alternatives for that milk drink at nursery (but not as her only milk until 12 months).
I know it's not ideal.  Consistency with the bottle or sippy cup might increase the amount she will take but it might not, and it might take along time, by then she could be approaching 12 months anyway.
I moved to cows milk with DS just under 12 months, again not ideal and not per the guidance, I couldn't get any of his formula anywhere in any of the supermarkets or pharmacies in the town or surrounding areas.

Really at approaching 11 months she should be fine with a morning bf and a night bf so although she likes that additional afternoon bf at the weekend maybe it's time for her (and you) to accept that she is becoming a more grown up eater that takes solids in the day and bf before and after nursery.
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67569.0

augustvirgo - your LO is significantly younger than OP's.  At 7.5 months milk is still her main food and it is far more important to keep the intake pretty good whether it is formula or breast milk.  I would suggest beginning a new thread for your particular difficulty so that more eyes are on it to help you out. xx

Offline lidiayy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 01:57:40 am »
C -  I agree with you, now that she's older (11 months almost), maybe she will be fine with 2 Bfs/day. The thing is that she's been waking up in the MOTN since being sick and I end up feeding her as she screams so loud, I am afraid if she will wake the whole neighbourhood with her cry  >:(
I know I should ask DH to help during NWs but he thinks that she's too little to push up so if she wants to nurse, them I should let her!

The solids that I give her that may include some milk in the composition is basically bread, which she doesn't eat very often.
Due to her tummy issue, we had her tested on lactose intolerance and she's not, the idea of giving her a lactose free formula was due to bowel being sensitive after the bug (diarrhoea).

Tomorrow, the caregivers will try to offer formula using a straw. Today she totally refused the formula and my milk. It was such a waste of both. I spent 3 nights pumping to get a 4 Oz sippy cup and she just refused!  >:(   :'(

Augustvirgo - I echo C post. I think your LO needs milk more than mine does. Who is offering the bottle to your DD?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:15 am »
I spent 3 nights pumping to get a 4 Oz sippy cup and she just refused!
Oh I really feel for you.  I went through hell in the early weeks trying to bf and express for my LO, I know how precious breast milk is.  I think if it is this difficult and adding stress for you then I'd say it's time she accepted that expressed milk is just not available and she can get her fill morning and evening while it is on offer.

The night feeds are a tricky one.  My LO was admitted to hospital for 4 days at 10 (going on 11) months with a viral infection, difficulty breathing.  He stopped all solid intake, and took almost no milk or water (just enough to keep him from tube feeding).  Following his release from hospital it took a long long time for him to get back to his normal feeding routine.  He was like a new born taking night feeds, frequent small day milk feeds, just about zero solids.  I know for sure it was not for comfort in the night, nor habit, he had not had a night feed for 'ever' by that age, he was hungry and it took his system a long time to readjust to taking first milk and then solids in any decent amount.
Because of my experience with DS I am pretty sympathetic to your LO needing feeds in the night.  I'm not in a position to say it is a hunger need due to continued recovery from her illness, or if it is comfort or habit.  I don't know what solids she takes or her daily milk intake...
I agree with you that an 11 month old would not 'normally' need a night feed and this could be weaned so long as you were sure the milk wasn't needed.
And I agree with your DH, although she isn't a new born she is still young and there is a chance she might need those night feeds.
Only you and your DH can decide about the night feeds really.

Offline lidiayy

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:12:11 am »
Last night she woke at 5am for a feed. She goes to bed at 8pm and she's been extending the time until the NF.
I spoke to the doctor again and she told me to keep insisting, gently offering every day because eventually, DD will take half an Oz, then an Oz, increasing until hopefully, take a full feed from the bottle/sippy.
She said that we have to act the same way when introducing solids to a 6 months old baby. The first day, the LO may eat half a spoon and then increase little by little.
I'll just keep pumping, feeding her in the MOTN as she's been more like she used to be when she was younger, i.e., nursing and going straight back to sleep. I can cope with that.
Besides, she's so little and I can sacrifice myself for her best, soon she will be older and I'll probably miss those NFings anyway.
Thank you!  :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:21 am »
Maybe ask day care to pour only 1oz of the breast milk into her sippy so the rest can be saved?
DS still only takes 1oz of milk from a sippy which is why I give his big milk drink of the day with a straw.  He's used a sippy from 6 months independently for water but milk seems to be a totally different matter.

Those night feeds won't go on for ever.  I think you'll know when/if they become habit and could do with a gentle push to wean.
You're doing a great thing for her :)
xx

Offline lidiayy

Re: Suddenly refusing the bottle... I am clueless - Happy Update!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 01:43:04 am »
Apparently she was still not feeling well, that's why she was refusing to drink formula (or my milk).
Last thursday, she took 4 Oz from the sippy cup (she normally has to feeds in the afternoon, at 1 pm and 4:30 pm ish), she took at 1 pm but refused at 4:30.
The next day (friday) she took again 4Oz and then, to the caregivers surprise, she took 6Oz!! :o :o :o
Having said that, I think she's back to normal, except from the NF, which we still have 1 per night. Last night, she woke at 5:30 am for a feed. Before the tummy ache, I would feed her last time at 8pm ish and she would sleep until 7 am. Let's see how she goes.
For now, I am relieved that she is accepting the sippy with formula again.  ;)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 09:58:09 am »
Hey great news!!!
That's wonderful and such a relief for you.

Yes it seems her illness continued to effect her feeding longer than you'd think.  The night feed might disappear too now she's started to take that milk in the day.  I do think you'll get a 'feel' for if it becomes habit rather than hunger.

I'm so glad for you xx