Author Topic: how many feeds?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
how many feeds?
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:08:48 am »
back again with more questions!!!
just a bit confused-the Aptimal box says 3 feeds of 7oz from 7months, but i'm currently doing 4 feeds (only 1 of which is formula at the moment & only just dropped the DF)
what should i be aiming for?! ???
LO is 7mo since the 16th btw
TIA

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: how many feeds?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:39:18 am »
Don't worry about the box!

At your LO's age a 4 hour EASY for bottle feeds is very appropriate and most babies are still having 4 bottles during the day (so 7, 11, 3 and 7) for example and some will also still be having a dreamfeed and/ or a nightfeed.

Bottle fed babies tend to drop to 3 bottles around 9/10 months as solids are increasing by then and they start refusing one or both of the middle bottles. When this happens it's usual to do wake up, pre afternoon nap and bedtime bottles. Some babies drop to 3 bottles a little earlier but that's usually in cases like my refluxer when you need to combine bottles to get more in them overall.

Leave things as they are for now, especially as she is taking good feeds - remember too that the formula box is guidelines (and that's what they are, guidelines not "this is what you must do") for fully formula fed babies - your LO is still getting BM with the formula!

HTH! Don't take this the wrong way as we are VERY happy to help, but I think you are overthinking this a bit - relax and let her lead you and you won't go far wrong, honest ;) ;D :-*

Laura

Offline *happy*

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 19:22:11 pm »
sorry if i seem to be overthinking...it's just weird not having a clue all over again!i was a pro at the BFing & now i feel like i'm back to being a "new mom" again!thanks for the advice.x

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 19:31:13 pm »
I know - I have 2 and I STILL don't have a clue, it's a miracle we are all still alive by bedtime somedays! I'm dreading the teenage years already :o :o :o

I have *tried* to follow the BW principle of following their cues though, especially with feeding - they do know what they need (mostly anyway ;)) these little munchkins really are quite clever!

Laura

Offline *happy*

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 19:50:29 pm »
ya,that's what i was hoping for (re feeding cues) but she seemed to be "overfeeding"( if theres such a thing!!!) initially with the bottles...she would take 12 oz!!!!of course,it would all come back up later on in the day then!!!

(ps...also dreading the teenage years....if my own were anything to go by!!!)

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 19:54:33 pm »
The thing with breastfed babies and bottles is that bottles are a really easy option, they don't have to work at all to get food because it is a constant stream so they can take more than they need. As they get used to bottles rather than the breast they do slow down.

You can slow her down a bit by stopping to burp every couple of oz too - that will give her the chance to know when she is getting full.

Laura

Offline *happy*

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 19:57:22 pm »
ya...i've learnt the hard way to make the bottles last 30 mins at least!!!! :)