Author Topic: Milk... I know they need it, but why?  (Read 2188 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: August 22, 2012, 00:19:19 am »
M has given me trouble with milk feedings for months. But I've always managed to get at least 16 ounces in her each day. Well, as of yesterday she has started refusing her evening bottle. (I've tried sippy cups, beakers, etc. but this doesn't work). She is getting her bottom two molars in, but I'm almost positive it has nothing to do with this). The second I put the bottle in her mouth she shoves it back out, which never happens. And no matter how I distracted her, she wouldn't take it.
I'm giving her yogurt and cheese daily, but I'm wondering what else besides calcium is in milk that is so important for them. Is it the fat? If so, is cheese and yogurt enough to make up for that? Because at this rate she's only drinking 9 oz. of milk a day.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Milk... I know they need it, but why?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:15:17 am »
"They" recommend milk but really, it's not necessary. You can even bypass cheese and yogurt, and many LO's with dairy allergies and intolerances have to do just that. You can get calcium from many other foods, and from supplements if push comes to shove; ditto Vitamin D.

Do make sure your LO is still getting enough calcium, D, and protein from whatever sources, and enough liquid from other beverages, but no, cows' milk isn't actually "necessary" at all.  :-*

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:20:24 am »
DH's siblings never really drank it, and honestly, neither do mine. We eat a ton of yogurt, cheese and get lots of protein elsewhere. I worry about Vit D though.  Its not something I share often because every one I've ever told gives me "that look" like I'm a bad mom.  Its funny though, as soon as I switched to milk in the bottle DD never took a bottle again she hated it so much and that hasn't changed.  Chocolate or strawberry they will drink.  Oh yeah, and can't forget the icecream.  DS, I think, is lactose intolerant and was missed as a baby so we're actually scaling back so I'll be looking for ways to increase D.

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 12:01:51 pm »
It has protein, fat, calcium, and vitamin D.  You can get all that from lots of other sources.  The yogurt and cheese could very well be enough since you say she ate a lot of it.  :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 12:34:19 pm »
Hamish has hardly any cows milk- most days none at all- he's just not into it. He is having a couple of breast feeds (2 ) so is getting some milk there- but i sometimes wonder if the amount is that big at the moment. He has yoghurt every morning and cheese every day at least once- usually as a snack. It's the calcium they need- so it's just getting that from whatever source- if multiple milk drinks in a day are unrealistic then i wouldn't stress...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:47:09 pm »
Just to add that vit. D is made by our body when sun exposition is adequate, so we should not have problem with this in the summer period and in the sunny countries.
DS is also not a milk lover, I try to give always a glass of milk (ca. 180 mL in the morning (and he doesn't often finish it) but that's all. He sometimes eats yogurt as snack, but he's not a fan too. He loves cheese though.
Barbara

Offline abbysmomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 15:53:35 pm »
It's actually the fat that they need, v. important for brain development. Whole cow's milk is just easy bc you know they're getting what they need in one go (fat, calcium, vit d) but definitely you can not do milk. It just requires a bit more fussing to make sure they get what's needed.

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 19:33:21 pm »
Just to know: is it fat provided by extra virgin olive oil enough?
Barbara