Author Topic: Please help us with our 22 mth olds dinner and eating habits  (Read 4859 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Please help us with our 22 mth olds dinner and eating habits
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:25:22 am »
I have been inspired from reading this post!
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=226012.0
And we have made the following changes (so far) to help encourage better eating habits from Z at dinner. He has become very fussy....

Quick background
- started around 15 mths (molar after molar then canines) all cut now bar 2 yr ones.
- eats good breakie, snacks, lunch etc
- diet relatively balanced but no veges :( unless sneaked in a toasted sandwich etc

Here is what we Are doing. (thanks mashi - this is from your post in above thread)
- eat together at table.
- food on table communally.
- additional food I know Z will eat (at least one thing) on table
- serve up together. Ask if he wants each thing. Put a tiny bit of our main meal components on in case he would like to try it.
- do not praise or criticize eating - at all!
- after dinner snack is always a yogurt typically.
Is this the right track.....it's been 4 days and we are seeing progress in that Z is trying things! Not Liking, but tasting :)

My questions though :( As this is tricky with timing
1) DH gets home around 5.30/5.45 Z is hungry at 5.30 real hungry! But if I give too much before then he won't eat tea. BT is 7 so 6.30 we are starting BT routine.
On days DH is later I really haveto feed Z ... Will this be an issue if we do family dinner say 4-5 days a week? Or am I best to eat with him, and DH eat after? Or just hold Z out - if bad traffic can be as late as 6pm.
2) we have takeaways 1 Day a week. I reserve it for bad days ;) we usually eat once Z in bed. Do we have them early with him (not good for his diet really) later, or just kick em...I kind of need that day a week sometimes though now I'm so pregnant and tired.
3) should I expect to see a regression in Z eating once the novelty wears off? - we stopped eating together a while ago when he was hungry at 5 but now I have worked out a meal timing plan so he can last.

TIA so much!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:28:38 am by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Please help us with our 22 mth olds dinner and eating habits
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:13:25 am »
I have a 9yo who eats most things (except sandwich fillings, but that's another story) & he was a 2yo who ate less than 10things... so don't expect things to change overnight & you will be less worried about it. There is no wrong or right way, but for some children (like my DS1) being offered things more than 100 times seems to be his thing... so I learnt to live with that.

Your DS  is still pretty young so I don't think if you only sit at the table 4-5 times/week it will make a difference. I know until DS2 was born (DS1 was 22mo) when I was working we didnt' eat as a family (so 3nights) & I really don't think that is what made DS1 a 'limited' eater, I think it was much more complex. With DS2 he physically didn't eat dinner about 5-6 nights a week for at least a year if not more... he would rather sit there & not eat rather than eat what was on offer.

One thing I noticed (& changed) was if Dh wasn't going to be home for dinner I fed the boys early & didn't always feed them well & then ate rubbish myself later, so I got into the habit of say having pasta (which I knew they loved) & then I'd make a bowl of veg & that was my dinner & they very occasionally would try something (how they started eating lettuce & then beans & then corn, but that was over months & months (we literally got a new veg every 6months until about 8yo with DS1 & probably the same for DS2... although still not like DS1 in eating almost everything.)

If it was me & you were feeding him earlier  (DH late or take away night) I'd make up a tasting plate with a mix of things you know he will eat & loves & also add in a few different things. We have "platter night" on Sunday & that has been great for them boys trying things like prawns & calamari, dumplings etc, because there are always things they will eat there too. So if say Z is like my DS1 at that age & would have lived on Sausages, maybe serve up a sausage, some bread, some cheese & a few other things, even put it in a Lunch box & sit at a kiddy table if you have one or put a blanket on the floor & make yourself a lunchbox too (with just a few carrot sticks to tie yourself over for the takeaway ;)) & call it the "Daddy isn't home Dinner" As sometimes presenting things a bit differently can work... ie when it is all 3 of you you eat at the table as a family, but if Daddy isn't home you can "picnic"
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:49:37 am »
Glad to hear my post was helpful - it was Deb in Oz who pointed me to Ellyn Satter who has a good website for getting started with picky eaters!

I think with your questions above I would just be tempted to go with your own instinct. I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" answer.  If it were us in that situation, what I would do is have dinner out and ready for the 5:30ish planned meal time and I would sit down with my DS and when DH came in he would wash up and join us at the table whenever it was.  If we are ten minutes ahead of him, oh well. I think that is a reality of family life and meals for a lot of people and waiting until much later is hard.  I would also have no problem having LO's dinner an hour early on a night when there is a parent's meal later (ie the takeaway nights). I would sit with my LO while he eats and then I would eat later with my DH.

With "regression" I found that after a while of eating this way DS did start to resort back to his 'old ways' but we just ignored it and continued on as we were doing and he went back to eating well. It comes and goes in spurts but at least this way I feel we are doing the right thing and then it is up to him to eat what he wants/needs.  Taking the approach that it is my job to provide the good food and the timing and atmosphere that is suitable to eating and then his choice to choose what he wants from within that selection iyswim.

Hope it continues to go well for you!!!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:18:26 am »
We can't do a family dinner most nights. DH isn't home from work before 6:30 at the earliest (except on Fridays) and the kids just can't wait until then. Most nights I sit with them while they eat and then I eat with DH - but it IS the same meal in both cases (with some minor variations since DS has a dairy intolerance and I have a gluten allergy). Feel free to join in my thread too anytime! And tasting is great!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 14:36:06 pm »
I need some tips here, Im going to read the thread Sara posted above in a minute but the picnic idea sounds great. With work etc getting in the way we have become lazy here and end up offering the same foods over and over again that I know he likes. I need to be more organised.

I know having a new baby will be hard work but I think it will be good for me being home during the day to plan this stuff instead of at work, nursery pick ups and quick dinners, iykwim?
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 19:18:38 pm »
You ladies are FANTASTIC! Thank you for popping on :-*
Love the picnic idea for TA night, plus it will be nice for Z and DH to play once he gets in rather than eat. And will just start early on other nights I think - DH happy to go with that too :)

We are getting a kids table and chairs in a week or two so that will help too.

Kelly, FWIW we are in a similar boat. Plus Z loves daddy time so I was tying to feed him so he could 'play' when Dh gets home. Problem is long term i think it's a bad idea for us, and z. He learns best from modeling and with this baby coming we need  to start thinking about this now.

Last night wasn't as good. He wouldn't try other foods, but I'm so happy how well behaved he is at the table with us, and he points out if he wants more of things etc. basically he chooses what he will and won't eat.

It's so so hard not today 'good one' or 'just try it ' though!
***Sara***

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 21:13:58 pm »
Sara there were times that I would end up basically serving the boys a dinner with 1/2 piece of bread, some grated cheese, some grapes or apple a carrot stick & some our dinner (or left over from the night before), knowing that only the bread, cheese & grapes would get eaten - at 2yo I wanted them to eat 3 things before they could get more of a prefered food, moved up to 4, when they turned 4 LOL.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline j.and.e

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 21:51:25 pm »
:-) I used to eat with the kids at 5pm when on mat leave, but when i went back to work i did dinner at 6pm or 6.30 so we cud eat together. Dh wasnt happy with no takeaway etc. and the kids were tired and grumpy and didnt eat well so now we do Mon i eat with kids, dh is out mon nites, tue and thur we usually eat after kids go to bed, wed, fri, sat an sun we all eat together. Xx

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:20:29 am »
Kate, I kind of do that. I know Z will always eat these things
Toasted Sammie's - I can sneak veg and meat in too
Sandwiches - including cream cheese, spinach and salmon or cheese and ham
Cheese
Yogurt
Kumera or, potato chips - homemade with olive oil and baked
110% John dory fish bites with crumb. These are healthy but got him off fish fingers through them ;)
Pear, banana, apple
A few other things but I do struggle ::)

I try to always offer cheese, yogurt comes after main meal but isn't withheld like a treat, it's just sweeter so I prefer him to eat other things first. So far not an issue.
Otherwise it's a mix up, to balance his day/diet.....
Today's dinner was great. It's TA night so I did the usual platter and he had his fish and chips (as above) cheese, yogurt and banana. DH had some too. I put just a bite of a mix on the plate at a time and I found that helped too. I wonder if putting too much on the plate at once was overwhelming him ???

***Sara***

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 07:48:18 am »
I wonder if putting too much on the plate at once was overwhelming him
I don't consider DS as fussy, there are things he won't eat but on the whole eats well.  I do totally think that LOs can be overwhelmed with the amount on the plate or even the number of different things.

I don't think anyone has mentioned temperature yet?  I don't know if you let Z's food cool in advance of sitting down for dinner.  I have to with DS.  If he touches something that is too warm it will put him off it for the whole meal.  He doesn't go back to it after it has cooled.  This is not easy with communal serving though as everything stays hotter.  I do like to serve communal dishes but even so I serve DS's food in advance of it coming to the table.  He gets 2 plates, one is his serving dish the other is his eating plate.  He isn't expected to eat everything, I put more than I think he will have on his serving plate so that if there is one item he would like more of there should be enough for another serving.  Sometimes he wants more in addition but by then the food in the other dishes has usually cooled enough or I'll give off my plate for a cooler version.
Depends if Z is bothered by temp or not.  I would use communal serving dishes if poss but this is another option which still enables you to serve onto an empty eating plate for him.
(I also put aside whatever I can a few mins in advance of the adult's food so it has time to cool.  Picking out the most cooked potato wedges etc and leaving the others in the oven to continue cooking or stay warm)

Another thing I've found is sometimes DS will eat much much more if he has a sweet appetizer. He looks like he is refusing his dinner and has no appetite, if I give him just 3 or 4 blueberries (which should really be for after dinner) it gets his appetite up and he digs in to his proper dinner.  I kind of don't like doing that but at the same time I know full well he is going to get that fruit whether he eats his dinner or not, it's healthy, it's part of his meal so why not have it (a small part of it) before hand?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 20:21:44 pm »
Thanks creations, I do make sure his meals cool enough, he is temp sensitive. If he has something too hot he doesn't go back! He also says hot hot and blows on warm food before trying ;) it's cute :D

A small snack before tea seems to put Z off...but I do sometimes give him a cheese chunk, or crusket(crisp bread) and that helps him tomake dinner.
***Sara***

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 10:07:59 am »
Honestly as an adult who was a limited eater as a child & now has had 2 children who are passing through that stage (biggest leap for Ds1 at 8yo... hoping the same for Ds2) I honestly think there are so many factors as to why some children eat lots of variety & others don't... I have a friend who swears it was because she always offered heaps of choices, but I know she wasn't a limited eater as a child either (her brother was & so are his children) & my sister wasn't a limited eater & nor are her children, but our brother & I were... so are our children. But roll on to 8yo & my nephew who ate everything at 4yo... isn't so much now, where as DS1 is the opposite.
I know for me having the expectation of "one new food/month" was a great perspective, because for  my children it was a realisitic expectation.  FWIW if you look at a "typical" diet of a 3yo in 1930/40's's they really did eat the same food over & over & over again... 20 food items in the whole menu was "normal" & so when Grandparents say "we ate what we were given" well quite simply because often what they were given was the same day in day out & they learnt to accept that... these days we expect & want variety & think children are "fussy" because they don't want variety.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 20:20:40 pm »
Things are def going better here. Maye it's just coincided with canines through but I'm happy :) TBH its not what he is eating that was bothering me, more his habits ie not trying things, throwing food etc. so far (touch wood) his dinner eating has been great since the change! He is even enjoying eating with us, tasting, asking for more and is playing with (though still won't use to eat) his fork :)
***Sara***

Offline roimata9

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 23:51:59 pm »
Hi Sara,
I haven't read much of the thread you linked as it was soooo long, so not sure if these things were covered there. But  this is what helps me with my DS who is 16 months.
Apparently it's normal for babies to get smaller appetites after 1, as they are growing so much. Also the more mobile they are, the more picky they will be - I believe this is a natural selection thing: when they can't move food is brought to them by an adult who knows better, when they can move though, they can get into anything which may be poisonous, so they naturally prefer sweet things as bitter usually means poison. The other thing is that toddlers will eat for their requirements if offered healthy options, not regularly for each meal, but it evens out over a week. Keeping these 3 things in mind has helped me relax as the appetite of my adventurous eater has dwindled and he's got pickier.

I also have to remember that toddler serving sizes really are tiny - 1/2 a slice of bread or 1/2 an egg are both considered a serve! They have such tiny little tummies!

So now I try and give him the foods that will give the most nutrition/calories per serve (called nutrient dense), eg I always give kumara instead of potato as it has heaps more vitamins. Nutrient dense foods are things like fruit, non-starchy veges, meat, fish, unsweetened dairy products, eggs, good fats etc.  even if he's eating small amounts of these things, I know he's getting lots of the vitamins and minerals he needs. He would happily fill up on bread, which is not nutrient dense, so I only ever offer him that if he's eaten everything else and still wants more, or as a carrier for something I'd like him to eat - leverworst for example!

The family meals sound like a great idea, I don't think 4 or 5 times a week is a problem, he's still getting the exposure and seeing you all eat and  enjoy family time around a meal.

Regarding the takeaways, if you're concerned about that, I'd either make it one meal that you eat after DS goes to bed, or else ditch it. Otherwise, choose healthy takeaways (kebabs, sushi, Thai, gourmet burgers etc) and help Z learn that there are options beyond fish and chips!  I'm with you on the need for a break though - I try to make double portions 2 or 3 times a week and freeze them so I always have something I can grab from the freezer when I don't feel up to cooking.

If you are worried about his dinner eating, I'd be inclined to drop the yoghurt to much later after dinner, or to use it as a snack well before dinner on the nights you eat as a family. He may not be worrying about sating his hunger if he knows there's yoghurt coming.

Also regarding the snacks before dinner, I often give my DS a snack before we eat, usually to keep him occupied while I cook and to stop meltdowns. I make sure it has protein, fruit/veges, and fats in it (usually no or few carbs as they fill him up too much). That way dinner can be more exploratory, tasting and trying new things, without him being super full from the snack or me worrying about his nutrition.
Looking at the list of things Z likes, these are the sort of snacks I would give my boy:
Apple slices spread with almond/peanut butter
banana chopped, rolled in almond butter thinned with coconut cream and then rolled in coconut
cheesy dips with vege sticks.
ham slices spread with cream cheese and spinach then rolled into cigars.
yoghurt with a variety of fruit to dip
peanut sauce with veges to dip.

Some out there ones that DS loves that you could try:
chicken liver pate on cucumber or radish slices
partially thawed peas and corn
boiled egg with kumara soldiers
smoked salmon and olives
guacamole with vege sticks

I would also try to present some of the things he likes in different ways and get variety of flavour and texture like that. Eg if he likes broccoli, try it steamed, mashed, roasted, with cheese sauce etc. That might help him transition to new foods.

I have lots of other ideas, let me know if you want more.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 16:18:06 pm »
I know what you mean about teatime and you can't be the only family.  My husband regularly doesn't get home till 7/7:30, sometimes 8.  My son's bedtime routine starts at 6:30 and he's in bed at 7:15.  My son's nursery does his tea for 4pm so I can't then radically change it on non nursery days.  The compromise we've come to is that we eat breakfast together around 7, we eat lunch together around 11:30 / 11:45 and I will sit with him and have a coffee or something as he has tea at 4:30.  When he was going through a fussy stage I then chose options for tea that would be fairly safe bets.

The tea they have at nursery is pretty snacky so I'm thinking in a year or so he might then want a 'proper' tea once he gets home but I'm not really sure.  We still wouldn't all be able to eat together I don't think.  I'm just dreading ending up cooking for my son, then me then my husband.  It has happened, fortunately rarely!  Normally I make the same thing for all of us if I can and reheat it later for each adult if my husband is really late!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/