Author Topic: Almost 5 weeks...  (Read 1077 times)

Offline emily9724

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:05 am »
And still not sleeping well! She seriously is the lightest sleeper during the day and at night! Naps during the day are worse for her constantly waking up. Last night she had one 3.5 stretch between eating and the rest of the night she was up pretty much every hour. Everytime she woke up I would pick her up to soothe and put her right back down but so frustrating after hours! And now she is asleep in my arms bc I'm exhausted and of course she is sound asleep. Please help!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Almost 5 weeks...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 12:57:34 pm »
Oh honey!! The first few weeks can be tricky! don't panic about holding her for some naps so that she gets some sleep in. She might be heading for the 6 week growth spurt- how often are you feeding her? Do you have her wrapped?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline emily9724

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 13:09:18 pm »
I'm feeding her every 3 hours and yes swaddling for naps and bedtime. She is so restless! I had to wake her up twice yesterday during naps bc it had been over three hours since he had eaten but she didnt sleep soundly that whole time. I feel like I am messing her up and that she is never going to be a good sleeper but maybe I'm just pushing too hard at a young age?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 13:20:07 pm »
Babies can be fussy during naps, they don't sleep totally out- they make noises and will wake and then re settle. You want to just leave her unless she really cries. A little bit of fussing is fine. Where is she sleeping for her naps? Is it light or dark?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline emily9724

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 13:37:26 pm »
Well I started only putting her down for naps in her bassinet in our room but then started using bouncy seat in the living room where it's light. Bad idea? Her room is upstairs but I have considered doing naps up there to also help the transition when she does move up there at night.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:51:31 am »
I just wonder about the light.. and i worry that the bouncy seat may get her used to having the bouncing during naps and then you'll be trying to wean it.. BUT neither of these things could be issues. IT's possibly best to have your LO in the same area of the house as you.. can you bring the bassinet downstairs? o do you have anyother areas you can put her to sleep that might not be as light?

The other thing- babies don't sleep 'soundly' as such, they make noises, they squirm and all the rest- if she wasn't right there with you would you perhaps notice less fussing about? or is she waking up, crying and needing help to resettle..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline emily9724

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 13:13:01 pm »
Sometimes she is just fussy and other times it goes into crying and need some help to resettle. Yesterday we were gone from home all day and she didn't nap well so last night was awful. Waking up every hour crying and needing to be soothed to calm down. Could this be a growth spurt? I thought babies slept more during those but maybe not? She eats 3 oz so not sure if she needs a little more..I'm just at a complete loss right now. :(

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 12:02:13 pm »
It could be a growth spurt, you get one at 4 weeks, then one at 6 i think... But they tend to sleep more AFTER a growth spurt- no way during! During it's all EAT EAT EAT!! It lasts usually 3-4 days or so.

Sometimes also LOs are a little fussy to start- they are really little! If she's really unsettled don't worry too much about putting her into a baby carrier, or holding her to calm her and do a few 'cuddle sleeps'... she may need the extra comfort of being near you.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline emily9724

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 12:16:28 pm »
Thank you do much for all your comments and suggestions! I think it's a growth spurt too. She usually eats every 3 hours but noticed her being fussy before that so yesterday I fed her when she woke up if it had been 2 or 2.5 hours. She napped better and was back on her normal night sleep schedule. She slept from 9:30-2am then woke up to eat and back down until 5:45 and is still asleep now. It's not a 6-8 hour stretch like I continue to dream about happening someday (haha) but so wonderful to at least have that 4 hour stretch back! Hopefully she will start sleeping longer in a few weeks but for now I'll just be thankful for this and not getting up very hour! Thanks again and would live to chat with you more :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »
Phew! I remember when we had a growth spurt like that- it was AWFUL!! I was used to 4 hour feeding overnight early on- and then i think it was the 6 week growth spurt where it was every 2.5-3 hours or something- not as bad as some, but i woke in the morning WRECKED!! Hopefully your LO is back on track!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!