Author Topic: DS's latest feeding problem!  (Read 1188 times)

Offline GingerNut

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:23 am »
A bit of history: DS has had feeding problems since he was born. He was deprived of oxygen at birth and in hospital for a month. He had terrible problems feeding at first and we were told it was probably due to brain damage. He was tube fed for the first three weeks because we couldn't get him to suck from a bottle. He was diagnosed with very severe reflux then and once we started thickening his formula and put him on medication, he did better. He still goes through phases of being very hard to feed though, and his paediatrician is concerned about the volumes he takes generally. He's slipping down the centiles - he was off the top of the charts at birth and is now on the 50th and still slipping.

He's 6.5 months now and I came back to work this week. He's with my parents 3 days a week and in creche the other 2 days, and neither my parents nor the creche staff can get him to take a bottle. He refuses all day, then fills up when DH and I are home - so he looks for feeds every 3 hours overnight. He used to sleep through till this week.

He'll take solids from anyone and he'll drink water, and he is drinking plenty of formula overnight, so I'm not worried about his intake, it's just frustrating that a)we're losing so much sleep when he'd been such a good sleeper until now, and b)that he's doing this at all, for no apparent reason that we can find.

Help!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: DS's latest feeding problem!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:29:13 am »
Hi there - sorry I missed your post.

How are things now, how much is he taking overnight? I wonder if he is refusing during the day because he is taking what he needs at night. Have you tried cutting down what you give him at night?

Laura

Offline GingerNut

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:28:47 am »
He actually switched back at the weekend because DH and I were home, and today my parents are heating his bottles far more than they thought they should and he's doing better. He's a fussy little dude, he'll only take formula far hotter than is recommended! He's always a bit hit and miss with feeding but at least now they know how hot it should be.

Now I just have to persuade the creche to ignore regulations and use the microwave, and heat the bottle far hotter than they're supposed to...

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: DS's latest feeding problem!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:54:54 am »
I'm glad things are better! Good luck with creche!

Laura