Author Topic: How much milk to serve and when? 1 year old?  (Read 7329 times)

Offline jennfl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How much milk to serve and when? 1 year old?
« on: August 27, 2012, 15:01:32 pm »
I'm a bit confused how to do this. Our son will be 1 year old in two weeks.  3 days ago I gave him 3oz to see how he'd like it.  He sucked it down.  Yesterday I gave a bit more and he seems to really like it.  This morning I replaced his first morning bottle with 6oz of milk and he drank the whole bottle.

He hasn't had any adverse reactions at all.  Which I was worried about because he had a milk protein intolerance when he was first starting formula.  So hopefully we're in the clear with regard to allergies??  We would have seen something by now right?

So, how do we switch to all milk and no more formula?  Do we continue to replace all 4 of his bottles of formula with equal amounts of milk?  I think I'd like to give him milk from a bottle at least for his first morning bottle and for his before bed bottle.  I may hold onto his last evening bottle for a couple of more months because it's part of his soothing routine.  He doesn't fall asleep at the bottle, but I'd like to wait just a bit before we drop it totally.

Any help with this would be great!  He has a sippy cup with a nipple and he drinks very well from it. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How much milk to serve and when? 1 year old?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 16:03:03 pm »
The guidance for 1yr  is 12 - 20 oz per day including dairy solids.  So if you want to keep the morning and evening milks that's fine, I'm assuming the evening one is about 6oz too.  So that would cover his minimum milk intake.  Anything else (butter, cheese, yoghurt etc) used in cooking or given in a sippy cup would be adding up towards the higher end of the guidance.
It's also advised to move away from the bottles at 1yr, but many people choose to keep them longer.  I think it would be advisable to move the sippy onto a regular non-valved sippy spout though.  It usually take time for them to learn how to use them and they aren't going to move on just on their own, it takes practice.
Yes you would replace the formula to cow's milk in the same number of oz.

Offline jennfl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: How much milk to serve and when? 1 year old?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:28:17 am »
Ok Thanks.  I appreciate it!!!