Author Topic: On our 5th solid food and he rejects or reacts to everything we've tried! HELP!  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Evans_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3

DS is 6.5 months and we are on our 5th solid "introduction" - unfortunately everything seems to cause issues so far.

Started with rice cereal based on doctor's advice at 5.5 months but he got constipated and had tummy issues so took a 1-2 week break and then tried oatmeal and barley.  Oatmeal he vomited up (crazy amounts of vomit) and barley he started gagging if I even just put it near his mouth. 

I then decided to take another break and then try fruits and veggies instead.  Started with sweet potatoes and he seemed to hate them... when I got any in his mouth he drooled it out / made completely disgusted faces.  Then, even though I probably got less than half a tablespoon in, he got diarrhea and a horrible diaper rash which led to terrible naps and night.  This morning I dusted myself off and tried pears as per the BW's advice.  He gagged them right out and acted like they were even more disgusting than the sweet potatoes....

Getting extremely frustrated and would be completely willing to put this whole "solids stuff" on hold for another few weeks except that he is 20lbs, EBF and he seems really hungry (oh ya - he won't take a bottle either).  Even though we did PUPD successfully several weeks ago, the night waking has started again and worse than EVER.  Last night he screamed for 1.5 hours of PUPD (initial PUPD training never took more than 15 mins for a night waking) and I finally gave in a fed him because I assumed (in my exhausted state) I was literally torturing him with denying milk because he is over 6 months and not getting any solids!  URGHHH!  He proceeded to still wake several more times after I fed him at 2am even though he is technically an independent sleeper now.  I can only assume this is hunger or discomfort from the trace amounts he has eaten... but who really knows at this point. 

Anyone know what I should do next?  I know staying calm will help, but it is hard on lack of sleep...  I do a good job "acting" with smiles and encouraging words at feeding time.. but after he rejected the pears today I just feel so defeated!

Offline rach321

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
Is he having purees or finger food?? My ds1 really struggled with he but was happy to try finger foods. Is there any history of allergies in your family? Is he teething at the moment? key thing is not to get stressed about it( difficult I know!) he will pick up on your anxiety. I would say that if he's hungry in the night and you're sure he's hungry then feed him ( I'm no expert there though, both my boys fed through the night till almost 12 months some kds are just hungrier than others). If you are interested in the finger food route the baby led weaning by gill rapley is an excellent read.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
I'd go the BLW route too. FWIW, disgusted faces and gagging are very much par for the course. If you suspect it's more serious, I'd make another trip to the Dr.

Offline Evans_mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Thank you both so much... I have been thinking about BLW myself but I would have to convince DH first ;-)  I will try the reading rach321, you suggested!

To answer your questions - yes there is a history of allergies (DH has chocolate and peanut allergies, several people in our extended family have dairy and I have shellfish as well as an intolerance to eggs and gluten).  I don't think he is teething full-on yet - although there is definitely signs starting like drooling etc but no increase really since 4 months or so...

Gonna see about trying something else tomorrow again :)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
This came across my Facebook feed this morning and I wish I'd had this information 10-1/2 years ago, as we're still cleaning up Josie's gut issues now. :( Might be worth considering, as at least 2 of these should be fine even with a history of food allergies/intolerances.

http://www.holistickid.com/3-first-foods-that-your-baby-needs/

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
I have a copy of the book sitting on my bookcase if you want me to post it to you - just send it back when you're finished! PM me your address and I would be happy to send it to you. All you can do is keep offering the food, when he's ready he will eat! They say you have to sometimes offer a food over 20 times before it is accepted, so hang in there!