Author Topic: Throwing/Pushing food from High Chair  (Read 2219 times)

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Throwing/Pushing food from High Chair
« on: August 29, 2012, 19:33:24 pm »
Well.. DS is still throwing/tossing/pushing food off his tray... been almost 2 weeks now. He doesnt do this at daycare. Looking for tips on how to stop this behaviour.
- We have tried ignoring it
- We have tried removing all food and letting him down( he comes back 30 seconds later crying because hes hungry)
- We have tried offering less choices at once
- We have tried less amount of portions at once
- We have tried allowing him to use his own spoon or fork

Nothing seems to be helping.
Melissa

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Throwing/Pushing food from High Chair
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 20:20:59 pm »
Hugs, does he do it at every meal?  Or just one ie dinner?
Do you think it could be developmental, or a cry for attention ie if your ignoring him (not on purpose) while eating together? Z throws food when he has too much on his plate too :-\

What works for us typically is the first throw I would take that piece away (dirty now) and calmly but firmly say 'we don't throw food Zac, are you done? ' I keep it simple so he understands. Sometimes he will say 'done' in which case i remove the food. I then say 'when you finish you just tell mummy your done.'  If he says 'no' i say 'ok, if you throw it again I will assume yor done.' if he keeps throwing I remove what isn't in his hand. If he cries for it, I give him 1 piece at a time.

Personally I'm not a fan of trying to control food, but working with them to teach desirable behaviour around eating is more effective - for us anyway. The reality is though, it will take time and it is in part developmental. FWIW Now we rarely have thrown food, but it did take months, ignoring it kind of works...but only for a period of time. What will work long term is good modeling and , e will get there Hun  :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 20:43:03 pm »
Does daycare do something you don't?  Do they put food on a plate/bowl and then put that on the tray rather than just putting the food on the tray?  Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
*** Amanda ***

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 00:24:55 am »
Daycare does nothing different than I do. With the exception that there is alot more kids eating at the same time so more distraction I guess.
Melissa

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 00:59:34 am »
Do you eat with him? Or sit with him?  - maybe that's part of the problem? - attention/interaction?
W have just got a toddler table and chairs and I have to say Z eats better at it than in his high chair...maybe thats part of it, eating at a table and chairs rather than in a high chair?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:01:26 am by ZacsMumme »
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Mattsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:12:58 pm »
My DS does exactly the same thing...he is tossing food down for the dog who he knows sits right beside the high chair.
We have started putting the dog downstairs so he's not a distraction.  We have started taking all the food away if he tosses it and then giving him one piece at a time.  I do find that if I offer a piece to him while he is still working on one in his mouth, over it goes.
He has always sat at the table with us. I think it's part developmental and part cheeky monkey...
I also find if he's not that hungry, say at daycare he had a late snack, he will not eat as much.
In the morning, he still tosses a few pieces to the dog, but eats most of his breakfast...
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 12:12:05 pm »
My son did the same.  We started eating with him more which helped but I genuinely think it was just a phase and whatever we'd done he would have got passed it eventually.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/