Author Topic: Are my babies getting enough to eat?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline kateh2o

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:21:40 am »
My B/G twins are almost 5 months old. We recently have started to transition to a 4 hour easy. They have not needed a night feed for a few weeks now and i have never done a dream feed. So they currently are getting 4 bottles a day with 6 oz of formula. The get their last bottle between 6:30/7:00 and then not again until 7 am.

There can be quite a few night wakings, but I think they are due to pacifiers and one of them recently learning to roll over. I just want to make sure they are getting enough to eat. They are a little small for their age. Around 12 pounds and have always seemed to eat less than the 2.5 x their weight amount.

Should I be concerned? I figured they would let me know if they were still hungry!

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Re: Are my babies getting enough to eat?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:17:19 am »
Hi there

My thought would be that if they go back to sleep with the paci without a lot of fight, then it's most likely a prop issue. I'm not sure about bottle amounts but will ask another who is more experienced in that area. There is commonly a growth spurt around four months or so, so if they do seem hungry don't hesitate to feed them if it helps.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Are my babies getting enough to eat?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:30:04 am »
Are they draining their 6oz bottles or do they leave a bit?

They are taking a fairly low amount for their age really - I would expect them to be taking closer to 30oz (if not more) in 24 hours.

Were they prem at all, what was their birth weight? Those are dainty little babies you have there - my two had both hit 12lbs by 6 weeks!

Laura