Author Topic: started solids not wanting the bottle  (Read 1825 times)

Offline hulagirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
started solids not wanting the bottle
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:19:10 am »
Hi
I am looking for some advice.
My l/o is 19 weeks, weighs over 16 lbs and has mild reflux, he is on gaviscon.
He is a very active baby, has been since birth, he can sit up, has very good head control.
He has been on easy since 10 weeks is and a 4 hr easy for 4-5 weeks. His milk intake up till 3 weeks ago was 950 ml- 1100 ml per day.
Then 3 weeks ago he started getting very fussy on the bottle, taking 1 hr to feed, crying even though he wanted his milk. He would take all his bottle in the end but it was just horrible every feed him crying. Tried different milk and next size tests which helped for about 5 days.
So last Thursday he grabs a banana off o/h and tries to eat it ( has been staring at food for a few weeks, smacking lips etc) so after speaking to doctor and hv ( both said try him on a little solid see how he goes)
So sat I gave him a little baby rice after his am bottle, he loved it only had 2 baby spoonfuls but think he would of kept going if I let him.
So today Fri we have same routine babyrice after am bottle still eating it and liking it but his bottles are turning into even more of a nightmare
He is refusing to drink more than 100ml at a time unless I give him about  a 45 min breather between

Here is our easy
Wake 6-6:30am
E. bottle 100ml-180 depending
7:45 solids babyrice 2-3 babyspoons only
S 8-8:15 am-10-10:30
E 11 am sometimes refuses bottle othertimes 100ml
A till 1-1:30pm
S 1:30-2:30
E 3pm 100ml-260ml depending
A till 4.30
S4:30-5pm on a good day sometimes refuses c/n
Bedtime routine give or take 15 if he is really tired but normally
6pm bottle half now, bath, massage, rest of bottle then bed settles himself by 7 pm
D/f 9:45 pm 100ml-150ml
Sleeps till am.

Now his fussyiness has been going on for nearly 4 weeks so way beyond starting solids, I don't feel he is having too much solid.
But am at a complete loss about what to do with his fussyness, I can't go up another teat size as he is on the biggest size they do. He doesn't seem to get wind problems. He takes his dream feed bottle fine.
He is a very happy little boy the rest of the time.
I should also say he is teething but has been since 3 months old

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: started solids not wanting the bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:25:38 am »
Hi, I realise that your GP and HV have okayed the solids and in some cases of reflux LOs do begin solids early.  But really it is not recommended until 6 months.  The fussiness you are seeing sees to me to be un-controlled reflux.  Gaviscon really isn't a very help medication (although can look like it helps initially) and I would suggest you see a paediatrician to get some decent reflux meds and get this under control.
xx

Offline hulagirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:02:06 am »
Hi
Thanks for your reply. We have seen a pead but she said she he didn't have redux as he wasn't being sick, was sleeping fine, not crying and had no symptoms of it our hv agreed only the doc disagreed but it wasn't our usual doctor. So I give him the gaviscon in case.

As for the solid food, I appriciate your opionion but I belive he is ready and would not be starting him if I thought it wasn't.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »
I'd say uncontrolled reflux as well. My DD slept well, wasn't being sick but still had reflux,  she is a silent refluxer and really needed meds. My DS started meds at 6 months he had been on gaviscon for months - I wish I'd pushed for meds earlier.

Is it still taking a long time to get a bottle into him? If it is I would stop the feed at around 20 mins, it shouldn't take longer than that for a baby to take a full feed. If the feed is going on longer than that you get into snacking territory which then has an impact on the next feed as they don't have a chance to get properly hungry.

I would also see the Dr and ask to try a med like ranitadine at a decent dose for weight. It may be worth switching to a reflux formula like Enfamil AR (assuming he is on an ordinary cow's milk based formula) instead of the gaviscon. The gaviscon is really only a thickener (it seperates in the stomach to form a raft to stop the contents being refluxed back up) and we found the reflux formula did a much better job.

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 15:37:13 pm »
I'd say uncontrolled reflux as well. My DD slept well, wasn't being sick but still had reflux,  she is a silent refluxer and really needed meds. My DS started meds at 6 months he had been on gaviscon for months - I wish I'd pushed for meds earlier.
Almost identical to us.  My DS is also a silent refluxer, he got his meds earlier than 6 months but even so I still wish I had been more assertive about it sooner.  I too had docs and HV saying there was nothing wrong with him, but the paediatrician diagnosed in a very short time just hearing the symptoms.

Sorry if I came across a litle short earlier, I was suddenly called away from the computer and perhaps came across more abrupt than intended.  My refluxer also had a great desire for solids, it can be less painful for them, there is a balance to weigh up between the gut being not ready (which is why 6 months is recommended) and the benefit of giving a food they find more comfortable to eat.  With the right meds and formula the pain should be managed really well giving less reason to continue with, or increase, the solids early.  It isn't just about not being ready for solids, it is also the drop in milk/dairy which they really need, and in addition formula feeds are packed with vitamins too.  The dairy and vitamins are difficult to provide in solids because of the wide variety and quantity that are needed.  I hope this makes sense.

If you are continuing with solids I'd suggest looking at other foods which can be given at this age which are high calorie, baby rice doesn't proved anything of substance really and is really just something to gear a LO to taking solids when they are still getting ALL their intake needs from milk.
You could also enquire with your GP and HV regarding vitamin drops.  I'm not sure if they can be given under 6 months but would be worth looking into.  I started giving them to my LO because his formula intake was so low (to compensate for the lack of vitamins he was getting in his milk).

It may be worth switching to a reflux formula like Enfamil AR
I use a carob powder (cow and gate carobel, it comes on prescription in the UK) which was prescribed by the paediatrician.  it can be added to your regular formula and later on added to cow's milk (at 12 months) if still needed.

There's a list of symptoms here (including silent reflux where the LO isn't vomiting copious amounts of milk) maybe have a read and see if any of it rings true for you
http://www.cradle2kindy.com.au/BlogRetrieve.aspx?BlogID=1159&PostID=15358

hth xx