Author Topic: breast to bottle, not happening  (Read 1106 times)

Offline perikitten

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:06:58 am »
Hi, I've been recommended to come to this forum to see if you can help.

I have a 5month old who has been breastfed only. I'm trying to get him on to bottle, only reason is I need a operation and won't be allowed to feed for 24 hours. I've tried everything, different bottles, different teets, expressed milk, different formulas, make up own and ready made, warmed it up, cooled it down, husband fed as has my mum, fed when starving, when not.....nothing works, he won't take the bottle, he shoves it in mouth then screws face up and spits all the milk out!!!

Can anyone help me I'm pulling my hair out, he only takes from boob.

Please please. Thank you. X

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: breast to bottle, not happening
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
Strange as this may sound, have you tried expressing and then feeding it straight to him?

What about a straw cup/sippy? He's young but BF babies often do fine with a straw or feeding off a spoon or from a syringe which will be tedious but won't be too bad if only for 24hr or so.

Offline perikitten

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:39:09 am »
Hi and thanks for reply. I've expressed and given in bottle straight away.... Nothing.

Oooo spoon never thought of that. Will try. Would like to stop bfing altogether as he is a big lad and hard to feed out in public.

Offline shivi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: breast to bottle, not happening
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:43:36 am »
another option is a soft, mouldable open cup - would work for 24 hrs.

Watch yourself as well and pump as soon as you feel up to it as the last thing you need after surgery is blocked ducts, engorgement or worse...

hugs and take care xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!