Author Topic: started waking after sleeping through:(  (Read 1056 times)

Offline honeypinkblonde

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:51:14 am »
i'm just looking for some help,i dont know whats wrong and its getting me really down.my lo is 6 months and has been sleeping through since 12weeks for the last 5 nights hes woken a few nights i've managed to just cuddle him back but other nights i had to give him a bottle he'd only drink an ounce then i'd take it away burp and he'd be asleep and i'd put him into his cot.he goes to sleep by drinking his bottle and falling asleep on me which i cant seem to change.during the day he has an hour in his buggy walking and then 2 short naps.beds about 9.30-10 and he wakes 7-8 and also now between 12-3.i was trying to get him down earlier but he'd just wake more.hes trying to crawl and has just learnt to roll but why would this wake him.we were swaddling but during hot weather he was getting to hot after unswaddling he would wake abour an hour after going down so we just wrap him lightly in blanket to control thrashing around but now hes waking at night.any ideas?thanks

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: started waking after sleeping through:(
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:29:54 am »
He has a very long day.  i'd say a lot of those wakenings could be OT setting in and i do think the fact he falls to sleep on his bottle doesn't help because when he is now waking he has no idea how to get back to sleep with out it. 

Can you post what a typical day looks like in EAS format?

Offline honeypinkblonde

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:42:47 am »
this is a very rough day
E-7.30-8 bottle then breakfast
A-8.15-9.30 play on floor activity car get dressed
S-9.30-10-30 in buggy while walking dogs
Y-10.30-11.00 potter round house/garden
A-11.00-12.30 play
E-12.30ish quick bottle to fall asleep
S-12.30 start trying to get nap usually sleep 1.00-1.30
E-1.30-2.00lunch bottle
A-2.00-3.30play
Y-3.00-3.20 walk
E-3.30 quick bottle
S-4-4.30
A-4.30-5.30play
Y- 5.30-6.30 cooking etc
E-6.30-7.30 dinner
A-7.30-8.45 time with daddy playing(some with me also)
 E-8.55-9.30 full bottle after pjs and bedtime massage
S-9.45-7.00     nw between 12-3 up for 10mins

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 18:08:20 pm »
I'd say he looks really low on daytime sleep with a long day.  If I'm reading right, he takes a nap of 1 hour and 2-30 minute naps?  Does he fall asleep independently for that 4:00 nap?  I'd guess that he's using the bottle to help him get to sleep and when he wakes up at night, he can't fall asleep on his own. 

Have a look at this link -- there's some sample routines for 6 month olds at the bottom tha will give you an idea of what to aim for.
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=242138.msg2267088#new

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 17:04:29 pm »
I think that's the link Erin meant ;) http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=164029.0

I agree with Shiv and Erin, his day is very long and he is not getting restorative sleep during the day which can cause NW.
I think that what's happening is that his first A is a little too short and after that first short nap he is getting OT and has OT naps for the rest of the day. Usually 45min-1:20h naps would be UT and 30-35min naps are OT. You can take this as an indication if your LO had too little or too much A before the nap.
I would be working on upping his first A by 10-15min and see where that brings us. You would need to stick to this new A for 3-4 days for us to see if it's really working. Other than that I think
E-6.30-7.30 dinner

this should be the end of his day, actually more like 19 if he wakes up from his CN at 16:30. So he will have his supper, then BT routine (bath or whatever else you are already doing) and then bed. I know you said that you tried earlier BT and that it didn't work but I think you would need to stick to it for a few nights till he gets the idea, yk? Even if he is OT he is used to going to bed later so it will take him a few evenings till he knows that's the new way things are done. Are you using pat/shh? If you're not I would think this is your best option at settling him if he refuses BT. You can also read more about sleep training at this age here: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=85498.0
Good luck!
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/