Author Topic: 15 week old waking up after sleeping through -Growth spurt?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Aleox

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
15 week old waking up after sleeping through -Growth spurt?
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:06:51 am »
Ladies

My 15 week old baby started sleeping through at 10 weeks but the past 2 weeks he has started waking up again. He usually wakes up at around 3.30, he doesn't really cry but he makes some noises, I usually leave him to see if he goes back to sleep but he doesn't and the noises get louder and louder so I end up getting up and giving him a bottle. I tried sush patting him to sleep but he gets quite upset so I end up giving him a bottle. I know he is quite young and he obviously needs the milk but I thought as he is waking up everyday at the same time it might be becoming a habit?

Also I've been told there is a huge growth spurt at 4months, could this be it, starting a bit early?

Funny enough he was a terrible daytime sleeper only doing about 30 mins at a time but for the past couple of weeks he is managing to at least have one 2 /3 hour nap and a couple of short ones. I thought as he is sleeping better in the day he would be sleeping better at night?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 15 week old waking up after sleeping through -Growth spurt?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:10:35 am »
Could be growth spurt, absolutely.

What's his EASY?

Offline Aleox

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 18:59:55 pm »
Hi

His EASY is a bit all over the place really as his naps are not consistent, but I will detail below today's one.

Wake up at 8
E -8.15
A
S- 9.30-10.30

E-11
A
S 12.15-1

E 1.45
S-2-5.15
A

E-5.30 (small feed )
A

E-6.45
S-7.15

As mentioned earlier up to 2 weeks ago he very rarely had a nap longer than 30 mins, as he had problems transitioning in his sleep, on a good day we used to get 4 x30 mins naps and he still would sleep from 7pm - 6am. He now naps much better (never 3hrs like today) but the nightime seems to be worse. I don't understand it, I though with better daytime sleep he'd get better night time sleep.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 23:20:07 pm »
He probably needs longer A times - most 4 month olds (and he's pretty close) are up to 2hr. He's sleeping 1hr after 1.5hr A which I interpret as undertired - he's making it through the transition at around 40-45min but not tired enough to take a fully restorative nap of ~1.5hr+

Often nights are disrupted when LO doesn't have long enough A times in the day, even if the totals of awake and sleep time are about right.

Offline Aleox

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:55:38 am »
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have tried extending the A time to 2hrs before and he was really tired and could not really be awake for that long. I will try again this week, cause as you say he is now closer to 4 months, and see if things are better.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 14:39:32 pm »
Extend his A time slowly then, only stretching 5-10 minutes every few days.  Also keep it low key - I used to bring my ds up to his room 15-20 minutes before nap time for some quiet play time.