Author Topic: I need a plan. So many NWs  (Read 1003 times)

Offline georgeo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
I need a plan. So many NWs
« on: September 06, 2012, 15:26:48 pm »
DD is 7.5 months old.  She is BF and on 3 solid meals.  She goes down independently for naps and night.  We do put her down pretty sleepy.  She will have good naps if when we get the activity time right.  She was pretty sick last week and DH was away so I ended up feeding her whenever she woke because I was worried about DS waking also and that was the only way she would sleep while sick. 

Her sleep has been a bit worse since she was sick, but really she hasn't been a great night time sleeper ever.  About 3 weeks ago, just before she got sick, she started rolling from her back to belly.  In that time she has started pulling herself up, sitting up from her belly by herself, really rocking on her hands and knees-she is so close to crawling.  I'm guessing all of this is affecting her too.  I think she is also getting her first teeth.  She is also a difficult baby to burp.  I try putting her on my shoulder to burp her at night, but it never works. 

This is what yesterday looked like, after a better than average night.

A 7:40
S 10:45 (1 hr 15 min nap)

A 12
S 3:32  (30 min.  I'm guessing OT, but she also has UT 30 min naps)

A 4:02
S 7

NW
8:30 -easy to resettle
9:36-10
10:02 - camilia and fed
1:22-fed
2:00-2:07
2:52-3:10 camilia and fed
4:35-4:55 fed
5:19-5:36 fed
5:41-6:50 on a mattress beside me.

Soooooooo.  I'm thinking I need to:
1)  stop having her on a mattress beside me.  I did it a couple of night when she was sick for part of the night.  We've only done it about 5 times so I'm thinking that will be easy enough to do. 
2) Feed her only every 4 hours.  Get her back to sleep however I can for the first 2 nights and then gently withdraw the walking.

Any suggestions?  Please help :-\

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
Re: I need a plan. So many NWs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 19:10:40 pm »
You're thinking right. :). I also think it would help to start putting her down less sleepy for naps and BT. It kind of all works together.  She really does have a lot going on developmentally and teeth are never a fun factor either, but I think if you can get her a bit more independent and lessen the feeds, you'll be off to a good start.

Some of the NWs are definitely OT. I wonder if she doesn't need a little A time push, maybe to about 3h15 in the morning to start getting a better nap.  The second one does look OT to me, since she did 3.5hr A after a nap that wasn't full.

Offline georgeo

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 21:51:44 pm »
I agree about getting her to sleep less drowsy too.  I wasn't sure if it was fair to do pu/pd when she has so much going on and may also have teeth coming. However when is a good time? Lol! I think I'll do this plan for three days and perhaps then pu/pd. What do you think?

How long would you suggest after a 30 or 40 min nap?

Offline katie80

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 00:59:45 am »
I think I'll do this plan for three days and perhaps then pu/pd. What do you think?
Yeah, I think that's a good idea.  Honestly, I haven't had a ton of luck with PUPD while teeth are actively cutting.  Sure, it gets them back down, but it doesn't seem to stop the NWs (at least with my DS). But, it might eliminate some of the unnecessary ones for you.

How long would you suggest after a 30 or 40 min nap?
Do you mean how long to try to resettle?  I usually tried for 15-20 min (probably would've done 20-30 if it wasn't for DD).  It seems you can tell if it's going to work in that amount of time.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Offline georgeo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:34:17 am »
Thanks ladies:) I was wondering how long an activity time I should try after a short nap.

Offline katie80

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 15:47:56 pm »
Oh ok, at that age DS usually did 2-2.5hr A after a 30-40min nap. If it was the second nap of the day and the A was to bed, it sometimes went to 3hr because I had to get dinner ready for the rest of the family.