Author Topic: decent day, so why EW?  (Read 732 times)

Offline ~*erin*~

• formerly "mama2girls"
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
decent day, so why EW?
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:13:45 am »
Audrey is almost 5 months old (21.5 weeks) and we've just made the switch to formula and her sleep at night has been greatly improved - however, she's waking around 5am .... now, I've heard her and left her, then went in to watch what was going on .... she grunts a little and turns her head back and forth and drifts in and out of sleep for about 30 min, at which point I intervene to help her get back to sleep .... I know that a 5 am WU is usually due to OT from the day before, but our days have been pretty good I thought. She's averaging between 2hr-2hr15 A time ..... I'm not feeding through the night anymore, since she's not crying for it ... just whining, or if crying, calms when replugged with soother.

yesterday's EASY:
WU 710ish
E 730
S 925-11
E 1115
S 110-200 ;replug; 205-240; replug; sleep- 305
E 315
S 515ish-545 (I wake her from this cat nap)
E 650
S 715
slept through until 515, replugged and instantly calmed, but then started grunting and coughing; intervene around 545 (try patting, hand laying, or will pick up and sit with her in rocker ... cheating, I know)

there have been several nights recently where she has slept through until 620 or later, so I know she can ...
sometimes her naps are interupted, like her 2nd one above ... does that make her OT still maybe?

thanks!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: decent day, so why EW?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 21:59:15 pm »
Those wakings can also be UT, just to be confusing ;)

You could try pushing that first A time by 10mins or so - that first nap was 1hr25 which is *just* short of 1.5hr and that can indicate its time to increase the A time. Often pushing that first A time can discourage the EW too.

She may be hungry... its not a 'typical' time for a growth spurt, but she may be hungry not having fed all through the night. Have her poos changed? She may just be a little uncomfortable getting used to the formula going through her system...

Now is a good time, if you wish to keep the dummy, to let her play with it in her A time and learn to replug herself.

Offline ~Lori~

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 22:02:46 pm »
A lot of us on the 4-6mth birth club are going through the EW thing too!  And a few of us were wondering if there was a growth spurt around 5 months b/c it seems like our little ones are wanting to eat more.  I know, for me, I am TIRED of EW's too and I think ours are UT ones and we are pushing up our A time...our A time hardly stays stationary...always seems like we are moving it up.
Mom to:

DD--Touchy, then Textbook, 2006
DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 23:12:13 pm »
My little guy had a HUGE growth spurt at 5 months, bigger than the 4 month one.  Ate nonstop for days, and then outgrew all his sleepers.  :)

Offline ~*erin*~

• formerly "mama2girls"
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 00:11:24 am »
hmm.... Not sure about her being hungry to be honest .... but maybe I could try an ounce or two if it's that close to wake up time. Her poops have definitely changed - we're down from about 4-5 per day (when bfing) to  1 every other! Poor thing! I'm giving her biogaia before her first nap to help her tummy digest the formula .... as for eating more, she doesn't ever really seem too hungry, even at the 4hr mark, and will drink 4oz, maybe 5 .... I'm able to get close to 6 into her at bedtime, but I think it's because she "knows" it's bedtime, she's super relaxed, knows there's no play time, etc ; even her first feed of the day, after nothing all night, she barely eats - it's actually her smallest one!
She's a hard one to up A times too; but it's definietly worth a shot. When she wakes at these crazy times, she's not full out crying, just kind of wimpering/grunting/whining ..... we'll see how tonight goes.
Thanks ladies! These babies - always keeping us on our toes! Oh, and to top it all off, she's got the cold her sister just had .... a good ol' stuffy nose and old man cough .... awesome *eye roll* haha