Author Topic: DVD's for 4-5 year olds  (Read 5903 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
DVD's for 4-5 year olds
« on: September 03, 2012, 13:30:44 pm »
I need/want to get some new DVD's for Henry. We have very few but the ones we do have he has seen a million times.
I just wondered what your 3-5 year olds like?
Most of ours are Tractor Ted, we have a Percy the park Keeper which is very cute and my brother gave him Madagascar.
Any ideas welcome x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: DVD's for 4-5 year olds
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 13:52:45 pm »
Shrek was definitely a favourite at that age along with Toy Story 2 (Jessie is in that one ;)) Also 101 Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp and  The Aristocats. Dvds with episodes are Wonder Pets, The Magic of the Faraway Tree, Big Barn Farm, Lazy Town and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse :) Funnily enough since turning 5 my dd doesn't seem too interested in TV  :D
Katt

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 13:57:29 pm »
We have Ice Age, Madagascar and Cars.  DS was scared by the beginning of Madagascar 2 ::)  Paddington is great, too.  And something from Czech Republic called The Mole.  No narration or dialogues, just animation by Zdenek Miler.  I put it on for DS just yesterday and he was laughing so hard.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Little-Mole-Collection-kalhotkám/dp/B003TNEYW0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1346680585&sr=8-7

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 14:02:30 pm »
Leorah loves watching the old original Paddington on You Tube Koe  :) I was a huge Paddington fan as a kid so we have all the picture books but soon we will read the real Paddington.

We also love Madagascar and A Sharks Tale  :)
Katt

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 17:53:33 pm »
thank you. A friend lent us the Incredibles but there is so much violence in it!! Of course H loved it but I kept saying that I thought it would be better when he is 5 ;)

Probably totally inappropriate for his age but my friend has a similar age DD and she thought he would love it...he did but not sure in a good way!

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 18:34:41 pm »
Jungle book, mr poppers penguins, jungle cubs, lion king, rio (you getting an animal theme here? :P )

Cars, fireman sam, mickey mouse,Pooh's heffalump movie, kung fu panda,home on the range, dumbo, ice age, madagascar, shark tale, curious george, toy story (number 2 only - he too likes Jessie!)

Yes I know he has a lot but remember he's in hospital a lot! ;)
LAURA xx

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:59:32 am »
thanks laura - loads of good ideas!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:11:45 am »
My DS watches children's documentaries and children's National Geographic a lot of the time. He loves them. The only thing you have to be careful of is the fact that you end up having to hear things like "Let me tell you about volcanoes...volcanoes are very big mountains and....blah blah blah blah" ::)   

He is into anything that is not cartoon lately.  His favourite movie is Herbie Fully Loaded (the newest Herbie with Lindsay Lohan). He LOVES it!

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:45:11 am »
DS also loves Roar and animal documentaries!  He also does like your DS Mashi! ::)
LAURA xx

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:49:54 am »
My DS watches children's documentaries and children's National Geographic a lot of the time.
do you have a specific channel that shows this mashi? H would love this sort of thing but not sure we have it although we do have about 100 channels we never use!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 14:23:39 pm »
We're still in Germany Becky so our channels are different here.   National Geographic is just the normal National Geographic channel but sometimes they have children's shows on, the rest of the time he just watches the regular stuff - there is one that is called Mega Bauwerk, I don't know what they call it in English but each episode is building a new building, usually the big towers in Asia (Petronas Towers, the Burj in Dubai, etc).   He also watches the shows that are on various corporations - so the history and making of Illy Coffee, how they bottle Coke, last Sunday it was Victorianox and Swiss Army knives....and he retains it all, too, so at least 4 mornings a week when I am rubbing my eyes to pour my coffee he starts rumbling on and on about how my coffee was made - every detail from bean to cup ::)

There is also a series here we get on DVD and in books called "Was ist Was" (What is What) and it is bilingual
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=was+ist+was&sprefix=was+ist+was%2Caps%2C247
They are really really good!  They are German, but bilingual, so some things are a bit culturally different, ie the Police one.  (But that was DS's first one and by far his favourite!!!)  They have different age ratings, some are 0,  some are 6. 

And our BBC channel (which is the export channel for foreigners!)  has a lot of animal documentaries on, as well as endless episodes of Coast ::)

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 14:04:32 pm »
I am going to start recording more programmes as never thought of this before - H would love some of these more factual programmes....thanks!