Author Topic: growth spurts & sleep  (Read 1640 times)

Offline lu-c-lu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
growth spurts & sleep
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:46:20 am »
Sorry not sure where to post this, can growth spurts effect sleep? Also there a link on here?

Thanks

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: growth spurts & sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 19:42:39 pm »
When my LOs were having growth spurts, they would always wake more often to eat at night.  Is your LO breast or bottle fed?  How old is your LO?

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 21:49:32 pm »
My little one is 11 months old, I have had loads of advice on here and checked out my easy etc and he is still randomly waking, he wants to sleep he has his eyes closed but is just crying ,I thought teething but now a week on (giving calpol at night) no improvement, I don't want to keep giving medication, I fed him loads today and he loved it but is still crying out and i just wonder if it could be growth, does this happen at 1q months ,should i give him a bottle? I dont want to get into accidental parenting but i am lost, i've had people look at my easy , my routine and nobody has can c that I am doing anything wrong, could u list for me something's that cause random night wakings? I think I may just have to ride it out ,I do pu / pd and walk in walk out religiously! Sorry to ramble on.....

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 21:59:39 pm »
I do wonder whether 'growing pains' could be part of our issue here too and we had a time around 11 months that I thought might be down to that more so than hunger associated with GS... not sure really how to fix it though :(

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:26:11 am »
There's a good list here of reasons that can cause NWs: 10 reasons (other than hunger) a baby can wake at night

Do any of these jump out at you?

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:12:49 am »
Hi

Thanks both of you, yes I guess developmental would be right, there isn't really any pattern to his waking / crying (he doesnt't ever really wake he just cries and rolls around or climes the sides) he is a very fidgety baby, ii can't keep him 'contained' in any way, in the pram he climes out when your out walking, he was climing out of his walker at 7 months! If I hold him he will wiggle to be put down after a few mins & is most content when at home crawling or climing around!

Last night he screamed from 9.00 till 9.50 (gave ibruprophen at 9.30) so I do wonder growing pains / teething, he was relatively quiet & settled himself back down through the night, the night before he cried out at 7.30 on and off till 11pm when i gave ibruprophen but still cried out till 2.30 (I had to go settle each time by lying him down and walking out) so if you see what I mean there is no consistency!

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:15:43 am »
Ps. I take the lack of consistency as a good thing that i haven't created an accidental parenting situation?

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 08:54:07 am »
I take the lack of consistency as a good thing that i haven't created an accidental parenting situation?
LOL, yep :P

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 21:33:28 pm »
So next question.... How long does a growth spurt / teething last, we are about 10 days in & it's getting better later in the night but the first part of the evening we can have up to an hour of sleep crying!  ???

Offline becj86

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 21:40:21 pm »
It depends upon the child, the tooth, etc. DS has had sleep disruptions last between 2-3 days and a month from any one thing.

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 21:55:20 pm »
Thanks ,I've given some meds after an hour of crying (defo sounded like discomfort) but I really don't list giving continual pain killers, saying that he did settle about 20 mins after so I'm sire something's making him uncomfortable!

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 21:56:46 pm »
That should be 'like'and 'sure'!

Offline becj86

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 00:12:48 am »
I really don't like giving continual pain killers,
I get this, I really do. I'm right there in that dilemma myself - DS is still cutting these canines after a month.

My take on it is this: If I was in that kind of pain and couldn't sleep, I'd take something for it so its a bit hypocritical for me to tell DS to sleep through the pain when I wouldn't. Its not something that I can fix or make better, it has to happen and at its own pace, but I can make it less painful and help him deal with the pain and be able to sleep.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 02:18:21 am »
A growth spurt should be over by now.  Teeth can be really slow.  Which teeth are we talking about?

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 19:04:01 pm »
He's got 4 top ones, 2 bottom ones, I can see some whites behind the fangs.... Not sure which r due nnext, possibly can see bottom ones coming up???  ???

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 21:21:31 pm »
We have tried today not giving him bread to see if it could be a intolerance, so far no crying......

Offline becj86

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 00:15:04 am »
After those four across the front, the 12month molars are next, then the canines (fangs).

Have you been giving water with solids? Maybe the bread was getting stuck... or maybe an intolerance :-\

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 03:18:40 am »
Should be the 2 on the bottom next to the fronts, but it could be anything.  I found with my ds that when the teeth were shifting around under the gums, he had a much harder time than when they were actually breaking through. 

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 09:02:35 am »
Thanks guys, I think it could be the teeth shifting but then last night he slept well, cried out once about 9pm I settled him and not a peep since, so now i don't know if it's bread or if it's teeth! Going to try a couple of days without bread and then introduce again and see what happens! X