Author Topic: 5 1/2 months, good days, bad nights, waking earlier & earlier...  (Read 1259 times)

Offline blondie91582

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
5 1/2 months, good days, bad nights, waking earlier & earlier...
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:15:02 am »
My LO is 5 1/2 months old, EBF (no solids just yet), has reflux (recently checked med doses), & is an independent sleeper (no props). Before, he had great nights & bad days, but now that I've been focusing on his naps, he's started waking constantly at night & getting up earlier each day. Then I have to put him to bed earlier... he gets up earlier... bad cycle. Part of the problem is that he HATES taking a 3rd nap, but he doesn't sleep long enough to go without it. His Dr. recommended feeding him less milk, more frequently & I've been doing that for about a week. I don't know if that might be related. He was eating about every 3 hours (day) or 4-5 hours (night) before. Here's his EASY for the past 2 days:

Woke- 545
E-645, only took a half feed
E- 715, a little more
S- 740-820 (probably should've kept him up longer, but he was so cranky!)
E- 845
E- 1010, half feed
S- 1035-1220
E- 1220
E- 210
S- 305-345
E- 430
E- 510, half feed
S- 555, only 15 mins, then woke up screaming & wanting to eat
E- 610
S- 620-725
E- 725
S- 745-850 changed poopy diaper
S- 920-135
E- 0135
S- 150-530

Woke- 0530
E- tried at 6, but he didn't really eat
E- 715
S- 755-920
E- 0920
E- 1050
S- 1140-1
E- 1
E- 250
Tried for a CN at 325, but he wasn't having it at all & wanted to eat
E- 340
E- 450
BT- 510
Self-settled- 630
woke again- 7, wouldn't settle for 20 mins & then wanted to eat
& is still sleeping now...

I realize how ridiculous that looks now that I typed it out. I'm probably feeding him too frequently & getting close to creating a sleeping prop. Also, he might be waking up due to all the wet/poopy diapers caused by over feeding? Or is he just getting used to eating more frequently & wants to do it at night too?

I should also mention that he's got 2 teeth on the bottom that have been coming in for about a month & might be getting the top 2. His dad left for military training about a week ago as well.

I guess it could be just about anything, but I'm really tired & hoped that something would jump out at someone & they'd give me some advice to try :) Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 5 1/2 months, good days, bad nights, waking earlier & earlier...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:33 am »
I wonder the reason behind feeding him less volume more frequently? I know this is something that works for some refluxers, but if these changes in his sleep are happening at the same time as that change, I wonder if its really achieving what you set out to achieve?

I should also mention that he's got 2 teeth on the bottom that have been coming in for about a month & might be getting the top 2. His dad left for military training about a week ago as well.
Lots of change in his life and reflux often flares with teething... Both of those can cause sleep disturbance too, but thinking after a week things should be starting to settle down again on that front.

Have you noticed a change in your supply? Just wondering if he's not taking a full feed now and your still switching breasts each feed he may not be getting so much hindmilk as before and could be getting gassy.

Offline blondie91582

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 15:31:01 pm »
Thats' a good point... He tends to either completely empty one side, or eat on both, but not empty either. Maybe it's gas. He seems to sleep much better later in the night. I wonder if that's because he's mostly asleep when he's eating & feeds better?

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 22:09:45 pm »
I wonder if that's because he's mostly asleep when he's eating & feeds better?
Quite possibly.

If I fed that frequently, my supply would be through the roof and I'd be able to feed 5 babies :o Maybe block feeding in 3-4hr blocks since you're feeding so frequently would just keep your supply where it should be and still allow him to feed that frequently and get plenty of fat.

Offline blondie91582

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 02:20:36 am »
What are block feeds? Like feeding him on the same side for those 4 hours & then switching to the other side for the next?

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 02:26:25 am »
Yep, that's exactly it :) Just as if you were feeding every 3-4hr and one-side feeding but feeding more frequently.

Offline blondie91582

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 03:20:49 am »
That's a good idea! I haven't had a huge supply increase since he usually only does a half feed. I'm thinking about just working him back up to every 3-3.5 hours. Feeding him that frequently hasn't made a significant difference in his reflux & it throws off our routine. It sometimes ends up being time to eat right before naps & I don't want him to get used to that. Do you think it would be better to slowly stretch it out or just get straight to it so he figures out what's going on? I think he might keep eating half, rather than a full feed if I slowly increase the time between feeds.

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:29:44 am »
You could feed when he wakes (sleepy - gets a good feed in hopefully), then feed again 45min-1hr later so he's still getting the two feeds but still EAEAS and then gradually reduce that time between feeds til you're back to EAS.

Or just go straight back, but often mums who do that worry that LO is hungry and so end up feeding just before naps anyway so LO doesn't wake hungry.