Author Topic: 5 Week old gulping feeds  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
5 Week old gulping feeds
« on: September 16, 2012, 14:49:47 pm »
Hi i have never posted before but need some help. My baby girl will be 5 weeks on Tuesday. I am using Avent bottles with newborn teats but she gulps down all her feeds, she holds onto her wind a bit bit we usually get her to burp. Hoverever she pumps all the time and it looks like it is sore to pass. I think she was lower stomach wind so she cries alot. I have tried colief but it doesn't seem to help her wee sore tummy. I hate seeing her in pain but i don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice please x

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 5 Week old gulping feeds
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 15:03:55 pm »
There are a few things you can try!

You can try a faster teat - sometimes they gulp and take in air because the teat is too slow for them. You can try a different bottle type if you don't mind spending more - Dr Brown's are really good at reducing air intake or the Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles are good too (and you can get them with inserts like the Dr Brown bottles). If you do try the TT bottles their vari flow teats are good as baby can control the speed by how hard they suck.

The other thing for wind is infacol (or whatever is available where you are, the active ingredient to look out for is simeticone or dimeticone), that given before every feed can work well as it makes all the little air bubbles merge into bigger bubbles which is easier to pass. If you use this you need to give it at every feed and it can take a few days to work.

The colief breaks lactose (milk sugar) down, but there are formulas which are Easy Digest formulas which are really low in lactose so one of those may suit her better if you aren't already using them - they also tend to be thicker so may help the gulping.

What formula are you using at the moment?

Laura

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 17:14:18 pm »
Hi,

Thanks very much for replying. I have just bought the Dr Brown bottles today to see if they help. I was using HIpp formula but changed today to Aptamil Comfort milk. I'm hoping it will give her some relief. I feel so sorry for her. She has been crying for 3 hours straight today. I don't know if i should be holding and comforting her all the time. I have practically been holding her all day today so i've not even managed to get a bite to eat myself.

She always lets out a wee hig h pitched cry before she pumps so i know it must be sore on her wee tummy.

My angel baby girl

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 18:02:22 pm »
See how she goeson the new bottles and comfort milk - something else to keep in mind is reflux. Have a look at this link Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Have you got a sling - that's good for unsettled babies and mums that need to eat!

Let us know how she goes!

Laura

Offline violagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 19:08:05 pm »
Hi gailwilkie, I'd love to hear how you are getting on with comfort milk? I have a nearly 4wk old who has reflux and I am mixed feeding him with 3 bottles of HIPP and infant gaviscon a day but have been contemplating switching to an antireflux or comfort milk. Sounds same as you, my ds seems to find trumping quite sore!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 15:16:34 pm »
I was using Hipp and gaviscon but it is making her constipated. I actually think the comfort milk is better, she keeps her bottle down and seems to enjoy it. So i have stopped the gaviscon now altogether x

My angel baby girl