Author Topic: refusing new foods  (Read 10184 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: refusing new foods
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2012, 14:39:54 pm »
Thanks a lot amayzie!!! :)

Another thing you can try is to offer him foods using a nuk trainer toothbrush

So I dip this in the puree, correct? instead of a spoon?

Also- you can try using a behavioural method. I've in the past used something like a car on a ramp:

So this is something that I never let him play with, only take out during his mealtimes correct? and he will never play with it, I do the car myself?

Also- how is he sitting in the high chair? supported? are his feet supported?

Yes, it is a fisher price highchair and he's well supported in it

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Precious-Planet-High-Chair/dp/B001GQ2RY4

I can't seem to find the tommee tippee spoons here but I'm looking at other brands to get something similar.

I'm having lots of trouble finding someone that can help us with those issues - seems like there is a shortage of speech pathologists and occupational therapists that specialize in kids here. No referral so can't go through the hospital but if those tricks you gave me don't work I will call the nurse and ask if they have resources that I could use.

Thank you so so very much. I feel like I have a plan and will work very hard on getting him to accept new foods :)
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 15:33:51 pm »
You may find that skipping the lumpy puree stage is a good idea.

Oh I meant to ask, since he's almost 10 months now, should I skip purees altogether or is it best to stick with purees for now or do a mix of both?
Elise

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2012, 11:32:37 am »
To answer the questions:

-If using purees then yes- dip the nuk trainer in instead of a spoon. Its just a way of adding 'texture'
- using the toy- yes, this is a toy that you use not him- otherwise he'll just want to play with that not eat..
- Try to make sure that the tray on the high chair isn't too high for him to reach the food. I know those high chairs often have a little tray you can take off for cleaning- i would be tempted to keep that tray off so that the whole tray isn't too high so he can get his arms up on to it to get the food.

As far as skipping the purees all together- you could well try that. I don't know if i mentioned before that we did baby led weaning with our guy so never offerred purees. By offerring foods on the tray, or off your plate rather than spoon feeding you might be giving him a bit more control. You may do best with foods that squish right down, so softly cooked vegies he can have (i know he's quite limited). But having him sit with you for meals you can have him try the foods on your plate (you may have to have a fake early dinner with him if you'd like to eat more than he's allowed if you get me) and you don't have the pressure of 'WILL HE EAT IT WON"T HE EAT IT!!'.. it may also help..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2012, 08:10:29 am »
should I skip purees altogether or is it best to stick with purees for now or do a mix of both
I would offer both. As you know we did BLW too so no puree at all here (only things that are naturally in that state, like houmus, cream cheese) but your LO is SO limited with his solids that I wouldn't put any further limits on it other than those absolutely necessary.  Whatever form he will even just taste something will be forward movement.
I would also try puree dolloped straight onto his tray so he can be in control and dip his fingers in, wipe it around the tray and 'paint' with it. You could for example puree broccoli in a dollop and a steamed stem of broccoli next to it and just let him play with them, using the more solid one to dip into the puree and spread it around the tray.
Another thing occurred to me.  At that age anything I gave DS to paint with ended up going in his mouth.  I couldn't really give him paint.  We did some tomato ketchup hand prints for an activity just so it would be safe to eat.  So maybe try that, no high chair at all, paper and puree for hand prints, and maybe he'll taste a little??

Offline ENMS

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2012, 12:57:06 pm »
Thanks everyone :-*

I've ordered lots of things to try your tricks amayzie, cannot wait to receive them  :).

Creations I think you've got a good point. We're currently trying blueberries (amongst other things) and I almost wanted to just drop half blueberries on the floor, I'm sure he'd pick them up and eat them. I do offer both now, pieces of food, purees, and even the mesh feeder. But since yesterday he just picks up the mesh feeder and throws it on the floor  ::)

I must admit I am discouraged  :(. I try to stay calm and relaxed and 'empty' my feelings before it's mealtime. He will stay calmly in his highchair while we eat now which is an improvement over before. But still not tasting anything new and sometimes refusing his pears (I do wonder if the pears refusal is due to teething sometimes though).

I'm sure we will end up getting somewhere but in the meantime I'm pushing for help IRL but it seems to be really complicated now. I'm going to call the children's hospital tomorrow and see if they have resources that I could use there.

We're also weaning his reflux meds but TBH I don't see a difference at all since we started. We're down to 1/4 of a dose since today. He's happy all day and the only difference is he's waking up slightly earlier in the AM lately, but I don't know if this could be the reflux or most probably teeth.

Thanks again ladies.  :-*
Elise

Offline ENMS

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2012, 16:23:24 pm »
Can I ask again for your opinion ladies?

DS is drinking a lot of formula - and still has a NF which I've been reluctant to wean since he doesn't eat any solids. I'm wondering if I should restrict his formula intake to make him hungrier for his solids? WDYT? Should I wean the NF? Should I limit his formula to a given number of oz per day? His average is around 37 oz, but could be as high as 43 and as low as 30.
Elise

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2012, 17:07:04 pm »
How many feeds per day are you giving?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ENMS

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2012, 17:41:07 pm »
he gets 5 or 6 - depends on the day.

He gets 1 NF around 1-2 ish.
Then he usually wakes around 6 and I feed him. Sometimes he goes back to sleep. When that happens he gets a top up feed before his first nap otherwise it's too long. If he's up for the day, then he gets another feed after his first and second nap, and one at BT.

When I give solids I always try them before his formula - except for first thing in the morning.
Elise

Offline creations

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 07:21:41 am »
I don't have experience of reducing milk to increase solids because my LO took so little milk.
Here's a bit of an out there thought though - might it be possible that he now knows the solids come before the milk and he is REALLY hungry and because of that hunger he has no patience for solids and wants to reject them as fast as possible so he can move on to the milk feed?
I've seen threads where LOs are too tired or too hungry to have the patience for solids, I know there are a bunch of other difficulties and bad experiences also impacting your LO, but could it be worth doing only the briefest offer of solids before milk and then offer again afterwards?  Or give him the choice by offering both solids and milk at the same time and see which he goes for?
I know it isn't what you were asking, sorry, it just occurred to me though so thought I'd mention.

Another thing, maybe already mentioned and tried, is not feeding him in his highchair but making it an A time activity instead.  Sitting on the floor perhaps so he doesn't have the same cues that have previously led to some negative experiences.  One of the toddler groups we go to has messy play and they put great big tubs of food on the floor (dry cornflakes, cooked spaghetti, canned baked beans) for the LOs to shove their hands in, they aren't intended as 'food' but the LOs always end up eating the stuff.  It's a pretty expensive and wasteful way to introduce foods but maybe you could try some sort of smaller version once or twice and just see what happens???
You could try some blueberry puree foot prints...if nothing else you get a nice set of prints to keep as a memory of his baby days.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2012, 18:45:44 pm »
Creations please don't be sorry, ANY advice is really appreciated my dear! You've been so helpful with this ordeal, thank you so much :-*

So... a bit of pressure now, just got a call from the children's hospital and his scope is scheduled for the 16th of October  :o Freaking out a bit I was hoping to get him to accept new foods but I know it won't happen it's in 2 weeks!

In the meantime though I'll keep offering.  Already I see a bit of a difference, he seems more relaxed in his high chair. If he refuses food I just leave a few blueberries on his tray, and let him be. He can play for a little while now, which is better than before.  Yesterday he played with the blueberries which is better than the last few days when he wouldn't even touch them!

Also the blueberries were really tart and I found out I can add a tiny bit of fructose to them to make them sweeter, might help for him to enjoy the taste? Not the best health-wise I know, but I'm really looking at anything that can help him diversify now! Wish it was still blueberry season here but unfortunately it's over now!

I like both of your ideas creations.  The timing you have a good point, it could be. I'll try it and see if there is a change.

For the play, it's a great idea. Maybe I'll do that in the basement though because blueberries are so messy  ;) but I find it is a lovely idea. As for it being expensive and wasteful... it already is! I buy so many things that I want to try out, and so often they end up straight in the garbage. But I can live with that for now, I think most important for us is to get to a point when he actually eats something other than pears!  :)
Elise

Offline jennandsophie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2012, 00:43:59 am »
Hope the food playing works out Elise.  I know J is super keen to pop anything he plays with into his mouth, so hopefully it'll work and something will get in there.
Jennifer - mom to Sophie and Jonas

Offline creations

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2012, 08:19:07 am »
the blueberries were really tart and I found out I can add a tiny bit of fructose to them to make them sweeter, might help for him to enjoy the taste?
In your situation I know I'd offer not so healthy foods, I just know I would, just in an attempt to get over that food fear that he appears to have.  I don't think you need to feel bad about the fructose.  Lets face it he isn't eating enough to really make a difference anyway.
On the other side - my LO loves tart fruit.  He shovels tart blueberries in as much as sweet ones and also eats blackberries like they are the best thing in the world and they are SO tart.  I try one occasionally and have to turn my face away so he doesn't see me grimace.  LOs do have a tendency to like sweet foods but I think they also like strong flavours (tart, sour, spicy) rather than bland.

Has the broccoli continued?  You could even do broccoli puree painting?

Offline creations

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:50 am »
I meant to say too, good luck for the appointment at the hospital.  So many ((hugs)) to you, this must all be so difficult. xx

Offline ENMS

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03:32 am »
My DD did love tart fruit. Maybe DS does and really he just does not want a new taste. But I'll try sweetened and see if it helps. Since his issue is with the new stuff, maybe if I can make it 'similar' to the pears it'll be easier for him to accept. Hey, I'm willing to try just about anything at this point ;)

Nope for the brocoli. Refusing bites and finger food. I keep offering though :)

Thanks for the hugs :-*
Elise

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2012, 18:24:04 pm »
Can I ask again for your opinion ladies?

DS is drinking a lot of formula - and still has a NF which I've been reluctant to wean since he doesn't eat any solids. I'm wondering if I should restrict his formula intake to make him hungrier for his solids? WDYT? Should I wean the NF? Should I limit his formula to a given number of oz per day? His average is around 37 oz, but could be as high as 43 and as low as 30.

Not sure on this one as we BF. I have asked for some bottle feeding eyes to come over with their opinion  :-*