Author Topic: Having trouble weaning off the dream feed!  (Read 1110 times)

Offline pandippy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Having trouble weaning off the dream feed!
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:58:50 am »
Hello,

Our daughter is 7 months old and the dream feed has been great - until now!  Over the last week or so we've been offering the DF between 9-9:30PM.  The trouble is she's not always hungry at that point and will sometimes refuse the bottle.  As a result, she wakes in the early AM hours (12AM-3AM) hungry and we've fed her overnight more in the last week than the previous 2 months.  We're having a hard time seeing how we're ever going to get rid of this feed!!  We need some ideas on how to wean- the book makes it sound so simple but it's easier said than done to just add more ounces to her feeds.  Here is her "normal" eating schedule:

7AM - bottle ~5ozs
8AM - solids ~2ozs

11AM - bottle ~5ozs
12PM - solids ~2ozs

3PM - bottle ~5ozs
4PM - solids ~2ozs

6-7PM (depending on catnap or not) - bottle 5-8ozs

She's a big girl (20lbs, 29inches) so we know she's getting enough food!  Thanks for any ideas!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Having trouble weaning off the dream feed!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 19:38:04 pm »
Will she take more than 5oz in her daytime bottles?

It could be that she still actually needs the dreamfeed - what time was she having it before last week? If you were feeding at 10/11pm and she was taking a full feed I would actually go back to doing that for a few more weeks until her solids increase a bit more, if she is waking now when she wasn't I think she may still need those calories at the DF.

My DD didn't dreamfeed but she woke for a feed instead, we activly weaned that feed at about 8.5 months when she was taking more solids, up until then she still needed it.

Laura