Author Topic: Does this sound like a milk intolerance?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Mattsmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« on: September 21, 2012, 15:22:17 pm »
Hello,
My DS is 14 months old. He has never been a good sleeper as a general rule, however, thanks to BW, we have him falling asleep independently (for the most part).
At 12.5 months, we switched him from formula to 2% cows milk (advice from Paed). At about the same time, we started dropping bottle feeds and having him drink from a sippy. He doesn't like milk out of a sippy so we still have the before bed bottle.

Recenlty, he has started waking in the night, and staying awake for over an hour. His BT is usualy around 7:30 and he wakes anywhere between 2am - 4am. His last bottle being around 7pm.

I have begun to notice that when he wakes, he is uncomfortable - very difficult to settle. Now he is teething (we medicate before bed), so I know this is part of it but I have noticed that he will break wind and seems to settle down afterwards. Almost like he's having gas pains and once out, he feels better and can relax.

His BM are loose - always have been and sometimes very frequent. I never really thought that much about this because they have always been that way, but now I'm starting to think they should be a bit firmer because he eats what we eat all day long.  He gets yougurt and cheese as well.

I know it could just be teeth, or a habitual waking now that I've got to deal with but I thought I'd post here and see. As I was sitting with him last night, I got to thinking about it.  He has yogurt every morning with breakfast - and he tends to be very cranky in the mornings. Milk before bed.

Would an intolerance take that long to show (i.e. he goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes 6-7 hours into his sleep)...

Drawing at straws right now but would appreciate any insight...

Thanks

Elizabeth
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Does this sound like a milk intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 21:02:15 pm »
HI, an intolerance can take anywhere from hours to days to show. This could just be as his tummy gets used to cow's milk direct though. I have heard but have no experience as we diagnosed Olly's allergy so early.