Author Topic: Totally lost on what to do - refusing spoon feeding  (Read 1874 times)

Offline BeanBoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Totally lost on what to do - refusing spoon feeding
« on: September 23, 2012, 08:23:16 am »
Hi

My DS is 7.5 months and is totally refusing to eat anything from a spoon. He will happily eat toast and pasta but doesn't want veg sticks (will eat pear). I'm really concerned about how to give him a balanced diet and get some protein into him and iron. He started off slow with the spoon trying to suck from it rather than open his mouth but got the hang of it and was really good with baby rice but then he got ill about 3 weeks into weaning and refused to eat (I never forced it during that period but always tried and snuck it gently into his mouth when I could) and now he's better he will only take finger food. I know that I could just go down the BLW route but he just doesn't seem interested in veggie sticks and I'm finding it really hard to get my head round how I go out and about with food the BLW route. I have a DD who is 3.5 years so I need to be able to go off to playgroups and things with her and not be at home cooking up things all the time. He doesn't have any teeth so I don't know how to get meat into him. Is there a way to get them back interested in spoon feeding? Or how do I do baby lead weaning out and about and not have to cook things up every evening (with spoon meals I used to just cook batches up and then freeze them) and get vegetables and anything but toast, pasta or rice cakes into him.

I'd be really grateful of some advice. My husband is working away, DS is still waking up 1-3 times at night wanting a feed and I'm desperate to get some food into him. I'm so tired I think my milk has stopped as I can't feel my let down any more and he's just bobbing on and off me. He used to go off to sleep at lunch time with a little song but now he screams unless I feed him or use the dummy (which he doesn't use at night and is only an occasional thing). I don't know if it is association or hunger as there have been times that I've fed him milk after his lunch and then waited 15 mins before taking him up and he's gone down OK but then he isn't interested in milk in the afternoon so I don't want to keep doing that. I'm in a total pickle to be honest and feel really exhausted and lost.

Thanks

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Totally lost on what to do - refusing spoon feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 08:53:37 am »
Oh dear, it sounds like you're having a difficult time at the moment, ((hugs))
Try not to worry about his solid intake at the moment, milk is still the most important food for him and will see him through the night.  NWs could be routine related, or teething pain.  They may also be left over from the illness he had recently.  My LO had an illness and following it fed more like a new born for several weeks, he was a great solids eater pre-illness but at 10-11 months took hardly any solids after his illness.

In terms of the spoon feeding I'm afraid I can't really help there.  Maybe he would like to hold the spoon himself?
In terms of finger foods, there are heaps of ideas on the recipes boards for babies of different ages and also BLW.  It's possible to make batches of 'clean' (ish) finger foods to take out an about.  I did BLW and went out to lots of baby and toddler groups.  I made:
- oaty chews (like flap jacks but no sugar or honey, just oats and fruit) in huge batches and frozen them.
- fruit pancakes freeze well
- bean and veg burgers or frittas freeze well too
- mini muffins, either fruit (sugar free) or savoury with cheese.  Sweet potato or carrot muffins are yummy and we all eat them (zero sugar).  I freeze these too but tbh I don't like them once defrosted but DS does.  Another easy out and about food.

With the veg sticks.  Maybe try different ways of cooking.  My DS refused any sort of potato unless it was roast or home made oven cooked chips or baked wedges.  A year on he now loves boiled new potatoes but still won't touch mash.  The flavour and texture of food is different with how they are cooked.  You might find he likes baked sweet potato wedges or carrot sticks rather than steamed for example.  BLW might seem like a lot of work but you can make foods for yourself and your 3.5 toddler at the same time.

They don't need teeth to eat meat.  My LO was gumming successfully on beef at 6 months, a long strip that he could keep hold of.  You can make meat sticks (like meat balls) or burgers, or fish cakes, bean burgers etc.  Even now at 20 months I make a batch of veg and bean burgers and shove them in the freezer.  When we have a toddler group I lift out 3 or 4 the night before and pop them in a tub to take out and about the next day.  Eggs are good protein and can be cooked in a variety of ways to find one he likes.  Eggy bread (french toast) is fast to make and a good clean finger food to take out (cut into soldiers), he might like that if he is a toast lover.

For at home, if he is eating toast and pasta and you have any puree left in the freezer use it as a spread on toast or a sauce mixed through pasta twists.  This is one way of getting veg in if he isn't liking the finger food veg, keep offering the veg though, just put a bit in front of him and let him play with it and explore it.  one day he'll pop a bit in his mouth.

I'm sure anything you make for him your toddler will love too so it won't really be an extra work load.
hope this helps some.
xx

Offline BeanBoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 13:02:27 pm »
Thanks so much for replying. I've been so tired I haven't had the opportunity to look into how to wean differently from my DD. Your reply has really helped me get on a different mind-set and my DS has just eaten spag bol with rice off the table, cooked no differently from my DD. How brilliant! I don't care about spoons anymore! That's one problem navigated, now for the sleep issue!

Thanks again

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 13:33:07 pm »
Both mine were the same - no interest in spoons. Finger foods all the way here - don't forget you can make savoury veg and meat pastes and spread them on toast. Marmite is full of good stuff!! Most meals here are eaten straight off the table nO need for cutlery! Mini homemade burgers went down really well here, pork mince, apple and grated carrot, add an egg to bind then form into mini burgers and either oven bake or pan fry.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 17:50:32 pm »
my DS has just eaten spag bol with rice off the table, cooked no differently from my DD. How brilliant!
How brilliant indeed!  So pleased for you - what a relief hey :)

One point to remember is that your LO is younger than your DD and there are still a few things that he shouldn't have, whole nuts, honey (after 12 months), and the salt allowance at this age is very low so don't add salt to any home cooking and (mostly) avoid pre-pack foods, there is enough salt in half a slice of bread and a couple of spoons of baked beans to go over the daily allowance so just keep an eye on this.  After 12 months the salt allowance goes up a little so is less of a 'worry'.

Happy eating hey...you will have such fun watching him make a mess and such pleasure seeing him enjoy trying all the new foods :)
I don't think I mentioned this before, I introduced a plastic fork (rather than spoon) for things too slippery to pick up.  I would load for him and he would pick up the fork.  As LO is still in charge it is pretty much like eating finger food.  He might like that.
xx