Author Topic: Baby blender or chopper!??  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Jaxsta81

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Baby blender or chopper!??
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:26 am »
Hi All,
I'm getting very confused with the thousands of gadgets and gizmos available for helping make baby food so I'm looking for some advice.

Is it worth forking out for a baby steamer and blender or should I just buy a normal blender with the pot attachment? I am happy to spend the money if it's worth it but I have a feeling as with most baby products, you put "baby" infront of it and you add on £20!!

Any tips welcome!

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:29:37 am »
personally i wouldn't bother.  if you already have a blender/hand mixer, it is enough.  For such small amount and short period, it was a total waste of money.  I bought a hand grinding set, with a masher, grater, etc all stacked into a cup.  Used it 3 times!  It worked well but I didn't even have time for that and I used jarred baby foods mostly.  (well, don't judge me hehe)  Some people follow baby led weaning and didn't need to puree much at all.  That's just my 2 cents.  Others might disagree!  HTH xx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Baby blender or chopper!??
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:04 am »
I agree with PP! We used a normal stick blender and either steamed in my electric steamer or in a colander above a pan of boiling water or used the microwave staeamer I have. They don't need to be on smooth purees for any length of time, you are better off moving to mashing to add texture after the first few weeks (depending on the age of your baby when they start solids). Don't forget many babies start solids by Baby Led Weaning so never have purees!

Laura

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:43:09 am »
yeah- don't buy anything special. A stick blender- or regular blender is fine. You are probably better to blend up larger amounts and freeze them for ease. the blending period is only for a couple of months really- so you are better buying a blender or stick blender if ou don't already have one and then you can use it into the future too.

We were the baby led weaners so skipped the purees all together!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:48:24 am »
Same as pp - we just used a stick blender which we already had. Very handy for soups!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Jaxsta81

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:26 pm »
Great! Thank you as I very nearly was convincing myself that it was worth spending £70 on one!! Stick blender it is then - can get one for under a tenner. Job is a goodun!!! xxx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:15:09 pm »
Indeed - just think you have saved yourself £60 - sounds like treat time for mummy to me!

Laura

Offline ~*erin*~

• formerly "mama2girls"
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 13:14:03 pm »
Hey there! We're starting with rice cereal here this week! woohoo! Yay solids!
We got this as a wedding gift and I thought "seriously, what a useless gadget!" but we hung on to it: http://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-CSB-77C-Blender-Chopper-Attachment/dp/B002RWJN5C
Then, when it was time to start purees with my oldest, we dug it out, and it was perfect! Ran to the dollar store for some ice cube trays, and there ya go - healthy food, cheap storage! And we just used the par-boiler that came with our pot set to boil food, or roasted stuff in the oven. sooooooo easy and soooooooo fun!