Author Topic: Food/Milk Intake at 9 months  (Read 959 times)

Offline SoarinGirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 30, 2012, 20:36:22 pm »
Hi,

My DS turns 9 months this week and I'm wondering about his food and milk intake and would appreciate any advice. 

He was last weighed about 5 weeks ago and was 21 lbs.  Despite having reflux he has always put on a good amount of weight.

This is our current routine:

7.30am Breakfast - 2 tablespoons of cereal and 2 ice cubes of fruit OR 3 fingers of toast

8.30am 150ml bottle

10.00 Nap

12.00 Lunch - 3 ice cubes of meat and veg, 2 ice cubes of fruit and a mini rice cake

1.00 150ml bottle

2.30 Nap

4.00/4.30 150ml bottle

5.30 Dinner - 3 ice cubes of veg and 1 Organix snack, e.g. sweetcorn ring

6.45/7.00 150ml bottle

He loves his solids but like clockwork looks for his bottle.  Was wondering if I should be trying to cut down the number or quantity of his bottles although very aware that guidelines say that babies of this age still need about 600ml formula a day.  Don't want to be overfeeding him.  Also should he be drinking his milk from a cup now.  He keenly drinks water from a cup at each mealtime.

Any thoughts would be gladly appreciated.

:)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Food/Milk Intake at 9 months
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 21:04:24 pm »
It looks fine to me. He is taking the minimum that he needs so you don't want his milk intake to drop any more until he gets to 1, a bit more milk wouldn't be a problem, you can offer more solids if he wants too as long as the milk doesn't drop any more.

Most babies drop to 3 bottles around 9/10 months but they are drinking more than 150ml at a time in the 3 bottles. If he is happy with the routine I would stick with it unless you can increase the bottle sizes to 210/240ml.

You can offer milk in a cup, the recs are to be off bottles by 1 but most babies start transitioning around the year mark but it does take most a while!