Author Topic: A silly Soy question  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
A silly Soy question
« on: September 30, 2012, 20:47:29 pm »
So just started DS2 on Soy today, as all the milk based formula's make his reflux worse and hoping to not have to keep spending the money on Nutramigen which had been pretty effective.

I know that we are supposed to follow all the directions carefully, but confused about the instruction to warm the bottle before feeding.  This is the last instruction, so I don't really understand the importance of it?  DS2 has been eating room temp, or cold bottles (with the odd warmed bottle), as I know that if he gets used to the different temps it is easier for eating when we are out and about.  So I am hoping that this isn't a "vital" step.  I compared it to the Nutramigen can which says to just shake and then feed (rather than shake, then warm, then feed), so as I said...I am confused about the need to warm the soy  ???

Any thoughts??
-Nadia

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: A silly Soy question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 20:59:25 pm »
I would ring the manufacturers and ask.

Does your Dr know you have swapped to soy? The UK  medical bodies don't recommend the use of soy formula for babies under 6 months as there are concerns about the long term effects of soy, also a very high perecntage of babies who have milk protien intolerance are also soy intolerant as the protiens are very similar :-\. You may find that he reacts to the soy if he is reacting to milk based formula and you are back to square one with the reflux again.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 21:23:04 pm »
^^ was going to say the same as Laura.

Soy isn't generally recommended anymore to treat milk issues (a good percentage of reflux cases are actually MSPI/MPI related).

I would go back to the Nutramigen personally.

Offline mickey44

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 23:25:55 pm »
We had DD2 on soy and bottle could be fed either way (cold or warm) but I would definately check with the manufacture to be sure.

Also as pp said soy could affect your DS the same as milk, although for us it made DD constipated so we switched to Alimentum (similar to Nutramigen).  I have also read some pretty interesting (scary interesting) stuff on the long term affects of soy, especially with males.
Stacey

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:08:28 am »
Thanks for the awesome responses ladies!!  I never even thought about just emailing/phoning the company, lol.

My pediatrician had suggested that I try soy, as the milk intolerance in his opinion wasn't "really bad", only kind of bad, so it was worth a try.  As well DS2 has such watery stools that the diaper soaks most of it up so it barely looks like he pooped, and it is causing such bad diaper rash  :P

I didn't know about the negative side effects of soy though...I guess if he tolerates the formula some heavy research may be in order to decide if it is worth it, sigh.

Unfortunately he woke up from his nap with red marks on his cheeks (possible starting ezcema...) so see how it goes in the next day or two...
-Nadia

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:17:36 am »
as the milk intolerance in his opinion wasn't "really bad", only kind of bad, so it was worth a try.

There is no such thing as being mildly intolerant hun... if he is intolerant of milk, you could be doing damage by giving it to him (also soy as the proteins are very similar)...

Offline Angelgoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:55 am »
Good morning. I have also recently put my 6mo DD onto soy formula once a day (she's bf the other feeds but my supply has always been terrible in the evening). She was intolerant to cows milk based formula and I forgot to take my expressed milk when we stayed away from home so it was a panic buy...and she loves it and it works - evidently whatever specific thing she was intolerant to in the cows milk based formula isn't in the say formula.
She refused to eat Nutramigen despite numerous underhand tactics on my behalf. I agree though, long term and as I wean off bf I am concerned about the plant hormones in soy so I plan on seeing if I can mix and match... Maybe try a goats milk based one too- it's not EU approved but going through the process and is used in New Zealand and other countries...is also expensive here in the UK.