Author Topic: Almost 7 months old - constipated and off solids  (Read 1306 times)

Offline carmenalecia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Almost 7 months old - constipated and off solids
« on: October 02, 2012, 14:18:55 pm »
My DD is really constipated since introducing solids at 6 months. I took her off all solids about 1.5 weeks ago, with the exception of pears and/or peaches mixed with prune juice a couple of times a day - in order to get her system back to 'normal'. She wasn't a really regular little lady before solids, but now she has a BM only every 3+ days (sometimes it's as many as 5 days and then it is a hard, small pebble that she strains to get out). I'd really like to get her on more solids, especially something with iron in it (but I'm really afraid of the rice cereal ... maybe oats or barley instead?) because I think she needs it. I'm still breast feeding her 5 times per day. Will the constipation just work itself out? Should I bring the solids back in (slowly) even though she is still constipated? What to do??

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Almost 7 months old - constipated and off solids
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 19:51:04 pm »
Laxative Foods

Hi, I think it is fairly normal for LOs to become a bit bunged up at first as their tummies get used to digesting foods. For us rice cereal, bananas and sweet potato were the culprits.

The foods you have got her on sound good - are they helping?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Almost 7 months old - constipated and off solids
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 20:25:58 pm »
I really recommend that link BB has given.
I never had a clue that carrots could constipate until I read that thread.
I know some people like to introduce solids slowly and one at a time for a number of days before introducing the next, I think sometimes this method adds to the problem.  if I'd given my DS carrots for 4 days he would have been in a right state.  So, unless allergies run in the family you might want to vary the diet each day.  It's really handy to find out which foods have this effect though as you can gauge LOs needs by what they poop out.  I always knew if DS needed an extra prune to loosen a bit or a carrots meal to firm up a bit.  A nice natural way to healthy nappies.
Also some breast fed babies don't poo very often and that's normal so prior to the solids I would think her BMs were likely normal if infrequent.  When solids are introduced they have to learn to really push out the poo (it's a new thing to them) and although you don't want her constipated you also don't want to use lots of laxatives (esp meds rather than natural food stuff) as it can sometimes lead to longer term difficulties with them not learning to push.