Author Topic: Ready to extend feeds?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline McSquirtle

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Ready to extend feeds?
« on: October 02, 2012, 19:24:54 pm »
Hi ladies, hoping you can offer a little advice. My LO was 8lb 10oz born and rapidly increased his weight in the following weeks. He is now 7 weeks old and we were weighed one week ago at 12lb 8oz (so he's a big boy) he has also been taking averagely 4oz every three hours. I always make these bottles up as 5oz so I know he's stopping when full and over the last day or two he has began to drain the full 5oz. Now 5oz every 3 hours works out a lot and over his daily requirements (I know hungrier babies may need more but it still seems a lot) Night times are good with around two feeds before his morning one usually at 12/1am and 3/4am then we start the day at 7/8am with another bottle. Do you think he may be able to stretch to 3.5hours now he is increasing his intake? How do you know when they're ready for this push and do you do it gradually?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Ready to extend feeds?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 20:24:58 pm »
They usually indicate they are ready to extend their feeds when their bottles decrease not increase! What you will find is that they are not interested in a feed or will only take a small feed bacuse they aren't properly hungry.

I don't think his bottles are getting too big, if he is taking 5oz and draining the bottles then he needs a bit more in them. They are doing a huge amount of growing in these early months and do need the calories, what you will find is that he may increase his bottles to 6oz+ but it will even out. If I remember right my babies both steadily increased their intake up until they got to 7/8oz every 3 hours and then they started to be able to go a bit longer between feeds.

I wouldn't increase the time between feeds just yet, he won't be able to do the A time he needs for a 3.5 hour EASY and it just makes everything harder. Babies usually transition to a 3.5/4 hour EASY by 4 months, some bottle fed babies do need to go to 3.5 hour EASY around 3 months, but you are a few weeks shy of that.

HTH!

Laura

Offline McSquirtle

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 21:17:02 pm »
Ok great :) thanks for the info, I'll offer more milk and see how he goes.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:30:56 pm »
Let us know how you get on!

I just noticed where you are in the world too - just up the road from me, well sort of!

Laura