Author Topic: More mistakes!!  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Melsie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 07, 2012, 20:40:12 pm »
On top of many other sleep problems I now seem to have developed an eating to sleep at bedtime!! My LO wakes up ever hour and will only go back to sleep if I BF her. This goes on all night, she just takes a little snack and goes right back to sleep! How to I change this?? She is feeding every 3.5/4 hours during the day and isn't fed to sleep during the day and I don't intend to at bedtime and often don't but when she wakes nothing else works!!

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: More mistakes!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 21:45:39 pm »
You could try moving the BT BF to before a bath or massage or something so that it's not right next to her going to sleep and then go back to shh/pat or whatever you've been using to settle otherwise.
*** Amanda ***

Offline new mum01

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 21:52:52 pm »
Hi Melsie, my friend had the same problem, will your LO take a bottle? My friend had to enlist her husband's help & he just offered her a bottle so they knew how much the baby had taken - when she took a massive 10oz at the start of the night they knew there was no way she was hungry for subsequent wake-ups!! Then they let her cry for just a little bit, as realised they had been rushing to her too quickly without giving her a chance to re-settle. 
In my case, my LO never woke quite that frequently so I have just always breastfed her when she cries in the night. I don't envy you as I can imagine of course that's all you want to do in the night when you don't want to wake the house up, but maybe just leave her a little bit to see if she can begin to learn to self-settle? x

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 18:58:57 pm »
BW is strongly opposed to leaving LOs to cry. It can break the bond of trust between the LO and the carer and lead to separation anxiety issues.

Melsie, I forget, how old is you LO now?
*** Amanda ***

Offline new mum01

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 20:51:58 pm »
I thought somebody might post that ... I don't mean literally all out crying, I mean using your mummy instincts to know when you can leave them to make their noises/ be they mantra or whatever, to re-settle! As I have read another mod on here put it, it is quite normal to cry before going off to sleep to block out stimulation. And not rushing in certainly worked for my friend! I'm hope you sort this problem out soon Melsie!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 21:00:33 pm »
That waking every hour sounds OT. What is your day like?

Is reflux an issue?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 23:18:36 pm »
I see from your other posts that LO is 21mo.

It can definitely help to hang back for a moment and see if LO will resettle herself *if* she is mantra crying but if it is a real, upset cry then it's important to tend to her.

How does your LO go to sleep for naps and BTw when she isn't fed to sleep? Independently or are you still there helping her?

Reflux can cause LO to wake for a sip just to take away the burning.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011