Author Topic: Low weight gain  (Read 1312 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:57:39 am »
We just took our little Colin (8 months) to the pediatrician for a check-up this week. Full disclosure: He hadn't been to the doc in a long time. We moved and my husband changed jobs four months ago, which meant there was a lapse in our insurance. He hadn't been going to daycare, so he wasn't being exposed to anything so I wasn't that worried about him.

When he was born he was in the 98th percentile for length and 50th percentile for his weight. Now, he's down to the 25th percentile for his height and 20th for his weight. The ped said he looked healthy and wasn't really that worried about it - he was babbling and blowing raspberries at her and squirming around, so she said he was obviously healthy, if small.

But, she did say she wanted to see some weight gain. I told her we were giving him 2-3 meals of solids each day - he eats a lot when he does get solids, and I don't want him eating too much and not taking enough milk. But she said to make it a definite three meals a day of solids - didn't suggest adding any more milkfeeds or formula.

I've been doing a baby-led approach - letting him feed himself a lot of the time, and if I do give purees, letting him guide the spoon with me. But that means some meals, he eats a lot and others a lot of it ends up on the floor. I've followed the idea that he doesn't really need solids - "food is for fun" - but now the pediatrician is suggesting adding more solids to make sure he gains weight.

Is this a sign I should work on my milk supply? Maybe supplement with more formula? Or maybe it's time to wean altogether. I'm a little bummed that now that he's being almost exclusively breastfed (since I've been at home, not working) that he's not gaining weight. Like I let him down  :-\

Then again, she did say from looking at him that it may be that he's just an active baby and burning a lot of calories. He is very squirmy, and always all over the place - wanting to stand and bounce, lunging, working on crawling. Even strangers comment on how he's just always moving. So it may have nothing to do with me.

Any suggestions?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:10:38 am »
Please don't get discouraged here.  I went through the exact same experience with my DS1, and our doctor as well suggested upping his solids but I knew in my heart that breastmilk was more important so even though I kept up with the solids I didn't push them, and I still made his breastfeeds a priority during that first year.  I remember at first feeling alarmed, because he was my first baby and he had fallen off his curve a little bit.  Our doctor wasn't concerned as he was growing and appeared healthy, but she did keep a closer eye on him.  Once I realized that he was developing just fine, I relaxed a little bit.  Now I know that he was fine all along.  BF babies especially follow their own curves, not necessarily the ones on charts.  Are you and your DH big people?  I'm a very small person, and my DH is tall but he is by no means a huge guy, so it occurred to me that my children would probably never be that large.  In any case, if your LO is developing well and meeting his milestones, I would try not to worry.  Sometimes babies grow in spurts as opposed to steady gain.  You may find he has a big growth spurt soon.  I'd just keep offering his BFs, and keep doing solids for fun.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Low weight gain
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 05:00:34 am »
How are his diapers?  Does he have enough wet ones?  How many times is he feeding in a 24 hour time period?  Honestly, he sounds fine to me.  The differences in the percentiles are not much at that age, and I found that with my babies, they could be measured multiple times by different people and still get a different number each time.  It's possible that either his birth measurement or his current one were off by an inch or two, which could make a big different in measurements.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 06:17:12 am »
I second everything Em has said. When DS was 10 months, I was told to give DS more carbs to get him to gain weight. I dutifully gave him more carbs for a month and went back for a weight check. Child Health Nurse was ecstatic with his weight gain - something crazy like 600g in a month (at 10 months, a kid who was literally running almost all day)... all was well again. Anyway, about 5 minutes after we left, he did an enormous poo and 'lost' 450g ::)

Granted, DS was born on the 25th centile, so I'm not so worried about him being 12th centile now but activity does have a lot to do with it and I think docs rely a little too heavily on weight and not heavily enough on milestones, etc. to gauge whether a baby is healthy and developing. Go with your mummy-gut - do you think he's ok? If so, he probably is ;)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 20:15:32 pm »
Agree with all PPs - newborn babies' lengths are notoriously hard to measure as they're been curled up in a ball for 9m and don't much like being stretched out!

Also any fluids that you had during labour can artificially increase birth weight.

It sounds like he's doing great.  If you're offering more in the way of finger foods, don't panic about it ending up on the floor.  It happens, but do offer all three meals (if you can fit it in time-wise).  But also carry on giving plenty of milk.  It contains loads of fat and calories and is really what you will see making the weight come up (although that may take a little while as he's burning off all those calories being so active!!)
*** Amanda ***

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 13:02:48 pm »
Anyway, about 5 minutes after we left, he did an enormous poo and 'lost' 450g ::)

LOL!!

We have the exact same situation. I think it depends on the Dr you see. Her regular one said that as long as she's meeting her mile stones and has plenty of wet nappies, not to worry. She said that at this age weight is no longer a good indicator as LOs get very wiggly.  A new Dr we saw when our regular one was away, was very unhappy with her weight gain and accused me of not feeding her enough:/ There is literally NO way I can get this child to eat any more than she already does, short of force feeding her!
She's developing well, not going hungry for sure, so I'm listening to Dr no 1 thanks:)