Author Topic: constant feeding? Please help??  (Read 19048 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: constant feeding? Please help??
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:55 am »
When I feed DS2, I can hear him gulping the milk and swallowing hard. This always happens near the start of the feed so I think I do have OAL. Should I try and take him off at this point and express some out until it calms down?
This is where lying back really helped us. If he's still doing it while you're lying back, then yes, I'd say best to catch the worst of the letdown in a towel (or bottle ;) ) and then latch him back on :)

I got engorged after a GS - never noticed til after it had been though... so it could just be that you've been through the 3week growth spurt.

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2012, 11:22:06 am »
sounds like oal for sure. Oscar coped, Emma didn't at all. I would allow letdown off into a muslin and then get on with it. As for the wine, old don't worry. Baby would get 3%-5% of all you've taken in if U were to feed when alcohol amount was at highest. Really is TRUE that best time to feed is while drinking or just after xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2012, 13:23:32 pm »
Did you ever get along to that BF support group, Kelly?

And yes, does sound like it could an OAL.  DS used to clamp down a lot on me, but DD not so much so.  That said, clamping and gulping can also be indicators for a tongue tie, as they find it hard to cope with the flow as the tongue won't move properly :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2012, 18:42:27 pm »
clamping and gulping can also be indicators for a tongue tie, as they find it hard to cope with the flow as the tongue won't move properly
I wonder how much of the being unable to cope in Emma's case was just this... but then again, I had definite OAL and it was slightly worse with her than with O I believe. Leaked a lot longer while at work etc etc as well.

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2012, 18:51:35 pm »
I leaked for AGES, but fairly sure I didn't have an OAL.  Amazing how different we all are :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2012, 20:56:53 pm »
DS1 had tongue tie so when I got DS2 checked I made sure they checked and they said he didn't have it. Feeding has been a bit better today, he seems to squirm less during feeds but has been so sick :( I'm thinking reflux and I'm taking him to the doctors tomorrow so ill see. Lying back when feeding seems to help with the OAL :)
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2012, 14:04:12 pm »
Oh god - I feel like my nipple has been ripped off and sewn back on :'(

My left side is agony! Ill be back after I've finished feeding him - please help!

Offline louis-mummy

• Showing Appreciation 22
  • Louis - the bestest (and now a school) boy!
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2012, 17:04:20 pm »
Kelly - you could try starting him off on the non-painful right side and switcg him over after a few mins when he's likely to be calmer and not so hungry?

I also have OAL and doing some block feeding
Laura

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2012, 17:15:50 pm »
What does it look like?  Cracks/bleeding/misshapen?

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2012, 19:13:53 pm »
What does it look like?  Cracks/bleeding/misshapen?
Misshapen yes, not bleeding but very pink. When DS2 sucked, I had pain in my nipple and also pain in my breast on one side!

Fed from less-sore side and pumped from sore side at 6.30. Will try him on the sore side next feed. I have had a cold compress on it and lanolin on the nipple. Ive also taken some paracetamol and Im going to take some ibuprofen to help.

I cant pinpoint the exact problem or why I am so sore but I know it mainly happened during the night, all last nights feeds were so sore but I was so tired I just didnt know what to do!

Today DS2 has been diagnosed with reflux so I know that has something to do with the wriggling/squirming on the breast and I have tried different positions but all seem sore ???

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2012, 19:47:53 pm »
Kelly, if you feel ripping, please express (and don't keep pumping if that feels like its ripping too (it shouldn't) - just hand express if you can, works well if you can get the practise in). I have had a piece of nipple rip off, it was long, about 1.5cm and about 2-3mm wide and the way the tissue grows, it rips all the way around :( It hurts and can take ages to heal.

Are you prepared to express and bottle feed EBM? It may give you nipples enough of a break if you do that when you can. Logistically, I don't know how, I used to feed DS and pump while he was in his bouncer after a feed - I'd sing to him and he'd be pretty happy but not sure what options you have for hands-free and boobs-available with C being so unsettled with the reflux. Just reading again that its mostly the night feeds - is he going further apart at night? Could be extra milk flow as you're resting (if you are).

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2012, 20:06:58 pm »
Yeah, he is going a little longer between last feed at about 8 or 9 and the first NW. The rest are 3 hours apart. I expressed after our last feed but only got 1oz, can't seem to get enough in one pump for a whole feed. I'm feeding just now from the sorer breast and the start of the feed was sore, I had to clench my teeth but its eased. It's down the outside of my actual breast that hurts ???

I hope he sleeps well tonight, don't know how I can cope with sore boobs and no sleep :(

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2012, 20:44:46 pm »
Have you got lumps where it hurts?  Red streaks?  Try warm compressed where it hurts.  If it got worse in the night I'm betting that it had to do with him not latching as well at night (which always happened to me, you don't want to turn on the lights, etc to see a good latch -- I used to latch by the light of my phone to make sure it was right).  Pink nipples aren't great, but are better than bleeding in my experience.  (((hugs)))) for the reflux.  :(

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2012, 20:48:46 pm »
Erin I did think it might be a problem with latch during the night. I'm going to have to make sure he is latched well during the night so I don't have the same problem tomorrow. DP is keeping him downstairs in his basket until his next feed, DP says he won't even mind if he doesn't wake until 2am, he will keep him down there to let me get some sleep.

Hopefully tonight's a little better - I have lanolin on and maybe with a good sleep I will feel better :) thanks ladies

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2012, 20:58:41 pm »
Hooray for DP!  :)
Hope you get some sleep!