Author Topic: constant feeding? Please help??  (Read 18949 times)

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: constant feeding? Please help??
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2012, 21:04:46 pm »
Kelly, please get along to that IRL support group.  With the reflux and the pain, I'd be beginning to wonder about something like a posterior tongue tie that won't necessarily be obvious to spot, but would be causing a number of the issues you're describing.  If not that, then they will be able to see and assess what's going on by seeing you do a feed than we can through the medium of text.

Big hugs, sweetie, you're doing great, but sometimes we just need that extra pair of eyes which, in generations past, would've come from family :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2012, 11:17:50 am »
Yeah Amanda, I went last week - my local one is on every fortnight so back next wed. It was more like some mums playing with their babies and a health visitor if you have any problems. I will see my own health visitor before then so will ask her to watch me feed him etc. she was here yesterday and watched him feed and he was an angel and latched on perfectly - no squirming/wriggling!
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2012, 12:04:07 pm »
Huge hugs Kelly. If some feeds R fine and painfree i would be thinking that c has a shallow latch sometimes and sometimes not iykwim? Shallow latch is most typically a baby's way of dealing with oal. It could also be posterior tt but then every feed would be affected to some extent.

Will  be back l8r but pls do hot b4 and cold after...hope its going better xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2012, 18:36:28 pm »
^^What Shiv said.  It might not help the OAL, but breast shells might help to give some air to your damaged nipple without clothes rubbing on it
*** Amanda ***

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2012, 19:51:26 pm »
Thanks ladies - the shallow latch sounds exactly like what's happening. I will see how tonight goes. Ice defo been in less pain today than yesterday :)

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2012, 21:02:47 pm »
We had the shallow latch here - the reclined feeding helped a lot but TBH, as he grew and I could do block feeding, that's what really made the difference because my oversupply was making the OAL more difficult to cope with.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2012, 00:19:56 am »
Yay for less pain!!  And, honestly, for us it was just that when I latched him on at night I wasn't being as careful about it and with him falling asleep and me falling asleep we ended up with a shallow latch and the resulting pain.  :) 

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #157 on: October 26, 2012, 06:34:58 am »
Erin - I remember before you asked about red streaks. My sore side is really tender to touch (fed from it a few hours ago) and has like a red streak (looks like a vein) on it where it's most tender!! The nipples are still a bit sore but ok. Only one side is tender to touch between feeds - is there something wrong?

Offline shivi

« Reply #158 on: October 26, 2012, 06:56:06 am »
Kelly you need to do ibuprofen max dose every 8 hrs for the next 48 I'd say, warm compress before and cool after feeding. If you can try and massage the sorest area while feeding Corey that should help as well. If after 24 hrs you feel worse - flu feelings, temperature when your nurofen is due to be taken, all over aches and pains, then you need to see a doctor....

I "got away with" home remedies for mild breast infections or blocked ducts with Emma - around 8 times in total. With Oscar I only had it the once and let it go far enough to need abx and bedrest....but you CAN get rid of a blocked duct (sounds like what you have) with local heat treatment before (to open the ducts), massaging during feeding (and changing position to have Corey drain that area better) and cold treatment after to stop the duct reblocking....

Here's a bbc article on it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/mastitis1.shtml

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2012, 07:17:15 am »
Hugs, when I first had mastitis I found getting in a warm shower and massaging the breast downwards to express a little eased the pain and pressure as well, especially when your full and if C doesn't empty the breast. As shivi says ibuprofen and Panadol too, and hopefully you can get it cleared out without antibiotics :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2012, 13:27:34 pm »
Yes, what Shivi said.  The heat and massage will usually open up the blocked duct.

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2012, 17:20:49 pm »
Ok so I have been doing the compresses and ibuprofen. I 'think' it feels a little better!

I've found that if I feed from my right side first (the good side) and then move him to the left, he latches better and doesn't wriggle down my nipple so much. I have been trying to massage it when he's feeding but it's kind of awkward as its sore underneath my nipple and he's blocking me getting to it to properly massage it.

I'm so stressed today which won't help either - DP is at work until 3am so I've had both boys all day myself, I'm dreading DS1 bedtime tonight!!

He seems to be feeding more often today - I don't know whether its because of the reflux and because he's being sick, he's hungrier quicker or because of my milk? Up until yesterday I felt full every feed but now my boobs feel much softer and he is needing to feed from both sides!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2012, 17:43:33 pm »
Could be another growth spurt, they happen so often in the early days.  Glad you're not so sore today.  :)

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2012, 18:42:55 pm »
I'd say GS too.  You feeling more soft just means you're not leaving it so long that your body is desperate for you to feed, which is actually a good thing :)

Hope the red patch clears up soon, but like the others have said, keep an eye on it and if you get any fever, get yourself to the Dr ASAP :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline shivi

« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2012, 20:09:56 pm »
To get to massage that area you could try lying corey on your bed on his back and literally sit on top of him, with gravity also helping as you feed and massage at same time. Damned blocked ducts nearly did my head in with emma