Author Topic: constant feeding? Please help??  (Read 19111 times)

Offline *happy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
Re: constant feeding? Please help??
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2012, 10:42:41 am »
don't you dare hoover!!!!i mean it!!!!i'm on my way to do it for you!!!!honest!!!!.xxx

ps my nephew was the same-fed & fed & fed!that's boys for you!!!

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:33 am »
huge hugs Kelly xxx
Have you had a weight check? If you are in for one soon and if you get the latch seen and its fine, I would say (shock horror - will never pass my exams this way) you might even consider a dummy? We intro'd very early with both. O had a weight check at 6 days old and was WAY over his birthweight, like 400g or so but was constantly rooting - I'd pass him to DH in the night and he'd latch on his arm/shoulder....the dummy really helped after feeds....but again, I wouldn't intro before a weight check and a latch check iykwim?

Emma had a dummy leaving the hospital at 48hrs old ;-) Latch had been checked - weight was not even stable (not that it should be at 2 days old) but I felt confident having a baby scales and a lot more knowledge myself at this stage that I could give my boobies a rest already.....

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2012, 19:28:19 pm »
Shivi - I actually bought dummies last week when I realised he was using me for comfort and not actually feeding but he hated them and kept spitting them out! I think the teat was too small so I have bought some more tonight with a different shape teat and he seemed to like it and managed to suck it better earlier but now he has decided to keep spitting it out!

Does this sound normal? Im not so sure how often is too often - bf at 6pm-6.30pm and seemed content after, when he started fussing i gave him his dummy. By 7.15pm he wouldnt take the dummy and was rooting around for more milk so I bf him again between 7.30-8pm and now its 8.30pm and he is unsettled again and rooting around! man - its really hard not even having enough time in between feeds to eat dinner or shower!!
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2012, 19:31:57 pm »
Sounds like he's doing some pretty effective work of cluster feeding there (totally normal).
Although it might be worth pondering whether some of it might be wind.  Both mine rooted when they were windy.

Did you get anywhere with that BF support group?
*** Amanda ***

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 20:06:02 pm »
There are bf support groups mon-fri all within driving distance so I am going to try and find one when ds1 is at nursery.

I have been getting quite good burps up but will keep trying - i have actually given him the dummy and he seems happier, I havent fed him yet. his hands keep knocking the dummy out and i have to keep putting it back in but he hates being swaddled :( thats a whole other post though!

Offline shivi

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 20:43:31 pm »
I used to pop a drop of gripewater on the dummy to get them interested in it, also "maybe" helped with the wind....

With the swaddle - yes, mine seemed to "hate" it too - but once in and nice and tight it did the job and calmed them down.

And yes, evenings are the most common time for them to want to feed literally ALL.THE.TIME....so so normal but so hard.

And weight? Can you get it checked soon? do you have a drop in clinic with a baby scales?

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2012, 00:28:36 am »
evenings are the most common time for them to want to feed literally ALL.THE.TIME....so so normal but so hard.
That was definitely dd1 and ds.  Constant.  I used to latch them on at dinner time as I knew it was the only way I was getting a decent chance to eat. 
You really sounds like you're doing SO great!  :) 

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2012, 00:52:48 am »
I used to pop a drop of gripewater on the dummy to get them interested in it, also "maybe" helped with the wind....
I swear by this too - worked a treat with Zac! ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2012, 07:38:22 am »
I will try the gripe water :) thanks

You ladies amaze me, I think your keeping me going :)

So I did something I wasn't supposed to last night, I expressed some milk and DP fed it to ds2 at his late feed. I went to bed and got 4 hours unbroken sleep and it really helped me through the night. I have a medela bottle and teat which is meant to mimic a nipple and there is no flow unless baby sucks. I don't know why I am trying to justify it to myself because I had the best night so far - I felt fine each time ds2 woke up for a feed and I even managed to settle him in his basket each time - no sleeping on me :)

I've just fed ds2 and DP has taken him a walk so I'm still in bed (ds1 is at his dads) with a cup of tea ;D bliss!

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2012, 07:44:19 am »
I don't know why I am trying to justify it to myself
you do NOT have to justify this kelly.there is no right or wrong way here...just what ever way gets you through the day (& night!!!)i'm so glad you are getting some rest.enjoy it while you can!!!xxx

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2012, 07:52:56 am »
Yip, I LOVE feeding DS2 and I am so determined to make it work but I suppose the odd bottle to keep me sane wont harm things. I am not planning to make it a regular occurrance but if I'm having a tough time, I think that's better than me wanting to give up.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2012, 08:18:03 am »
DS was fed bottles of EBM for every feed for days at a time early on and his latch is fine and he's still BFing at nearly 18 months. I would not have been able to continue with two ripped nipples without hand expressing and bottle feeding that EBM for a week while I healed and we'd not have got through my oversupply issues without it either. If a bottlefeed of EBM here and there is going to get you just enough rest to be able to continue, then that's what you should do :-*

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2012, 10:35:26 am »
Thanks bec :) I feel so much better today - actually well rested :)

Shivi - I forgot to say they have weighed him, he lost 110g but is putting it back on fast. He isn't ever going more than 3 hours for a feed so she said no worries :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2012, 12:10:21 pm »
Sweetie, the odd bottle isn't going to hurt -- it sounds like it was very beneficial for you.  Sleep is important!

Offline shivi

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2012, 16:44:58 pm »
I did DF EBM in a bottle with Oscar from around day 10 or so, every single night till we stopped DFing at 10ish months.
Once weight gain is on the up, you can comfortably express and then get thro the early hours of the night comfortably and latch is good, I seriously don't see why not!

With Emma, it was complicated...but we also tried and then gave up around the 6 week mark. But still, I went to bed at 8pm, DH brought her to me for breastfed DF and then did nappy and resettle himself....those hours really do make a difference xxx