Author Topic: constant feeding? Please help??  (Read 18945 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: constant feeding? Please help??
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2012, 17:39:44 pm »
DH has been doing the DF since day 5 so I pump at 9.30pm and am in bed by 10pm. In the early days that gave me a stretch from 10pm-2.30am, which was a godsend.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2012, 19:29:19 pm »
My friend who was a super-pumper always used to express for the BT feed so her DH could give the children a bottle and she had a little break (with the older ones when they were bigger).  She's a BFC, so obviously didn't see any issues with it.  As long as you're pumping in place of the feed, sleep away :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2012, 11:38:57 am »
is it normal for one breast to make more milk than the other?? My right breast seems to be full all the time, I fed DS2 at 9am from that breast, he is stirring from his sleep now and I am planning on feeding him from the other side but the right side seems fuller!! Weird ???

I have a few other issues but will be back, C is stirring and will be starving, he never goes this long between feeds.
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2012, 11:58:56 am »
is it normal for one breast to make more milk than the other??

Yup:) My right always has much more than my left.

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »
I fed from left and he came off himself but after I winded him he still seemed hungry so I have fed from right side as well but hasn't emptied it - my question is - next feed, should I feed from right side? It will be more full by then? Or should I go back to left side? I just don't want to feed too much from one side??

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2012, 13:01:51 pm »
Quote from: kellyt87 on Today at 12:38:57

is it normal for one breast to make more milk than the other??

Yup:) My right always has much more than my left.

Hi Kelly, just to say that for me it was the same. My right breast was much more full than the left one and always was during all the bf. I usually fed by both breasts, because one was always not enough (so I finished one breast and I always offered the second one and DS usually took some), so the left one was constantly stimulated anyway. However, in the early days, when I realized that the left side did not produce milk as well as the right one, I always started from it for 2-3 days, just to increase stimulation. I don't know if it made difference...
Barbara

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2012, 18:17:12 pm »
Yes, start from the right.  Totally normal for one to produce more.  Lots of times LOs will have a preference for whatever reason too.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2012, 18:19:35 pm »
I'd question whether he's maybe having some difficulty 'emptying' the right breast if you're constantly feeling engorged (or 'full')  Engorgement is the body's way of telling you that LO needs feeding and if one breast is always feeling like that, it may be that he's not getting such a good latch on that breast to get out the milk that is there.  Does that make sense?

That said, it can be totally normal for one breast to be preferred and even to produce more milk.

Is the right breast hot to the touch as well or are there any red patches?
*** Amanda ***

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2012, 19:16:34 pm »
In my case I think that it was because my supply was quicker on the right side, so lo preferred it and stimulated it more. If I pumped I could see that the right breast had more "pores" (is it the right word? ::) ) than the left one.
Barbara

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2012, 19:37:54 pm »
I had the opposite - left was much better. Later found out why in an U/S exam of breasts due to lumps. I have very twisted milk ducts on the right so the flow wasnt half as good (and also less of them). Emma wasn't patient enough unless drowsy in the end (from 3 mths on) to be tricked into eating from the right.

O was much better and didn't really complain about the difference till well past 1yr.
Both fed only from left over last 2-3 mths of feeding them....Emma fed from right first at first morning feed (as I would come to her rather than her wake as running out door to work, DF and also if I'd catch her at the end of her nap). Otherwise she'd refuse...I'd trick her etc with trad hold on left, getting right going by hand expressing and then quickly chatting and transferring to football hold right side etc etc...sometimes it'd work, others not and with age, less and less.

That said, I always had more issues on the right - pain, blocked ducts etc etc though not as big or engorged. So keep an eye alright for redness, tenderness in any areas etc etc and keep the hot before, cold after packs going if you feel anything is amiss and ibuprofen if you have any pain/tenderness as it reduces the swelling if there is any there to allow the flow to improve....

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2012, 10:37:41 am »
Oh I was doing so well - yesterday and today have been tough. DS2 seems to be great during the day but night time is a struggle :(

My nipples are tender and sore - latch is ok I think, its just sore for the first few sucks and then settles. DS2 has some problems though and I dont know what, when feeding he is squirming around and pulling down my nipple which means I am re-latching him loads during a feed and he is getting frustrated. He is tensing up and pulling him knees up - all of which arent helping the feeding situation but I know this is a wind problem, I just dont know whats wrong or how to fix it, I have posted on the colic, reflux board though.

Shivi, I havent used the compresses in a while - I have got them out and Im going to use them next feed. I am also going to take some neurofen (i havent needed any painkillers for a week now) because I know they will help .

I dont have any redness and my breasts are quite hot to touch but Im not sure if thats relevant??

Right breast today doesnt feel fuller like it did yesterday, both seem quite empty to be honest :( what if there isnt enough milk?

I also wanted to ask, how long should you feed on one side before moving to the next? Sometimes DS2 will feed from one and then fall asleep but he will wake when I move him and want more, should I continue on the same side or move to the other? Usually he has fed quite a lot from the first (but I hand expressed and there was still milk coming out).

I feel clueless today :'(

Offline *happy*

• Showing Appreciation 55
  • blessed to have found BWing.xxx
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2012, 10:40:38 am »
just a really quick post...i could be wrong, but my pharmacist told me not to take neurofen while nursing.....xxx

Offline shivi

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2012, 11:44:55 am »
nurofen - no prob when nursing.....believe me!!! will post a link but for sure, for sure its ok. Not while pg but yes while nursing xxx

try the compresses.....will be back later xxx

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline shivi

• Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2012, 11:47:15 am »
They told me at the hospital to take it along with paracetamol - they said it was fine when bf

Used the compress and I think it did help :)