Author Topic: anyone do ALCAT testing?  (Read 1914 times)

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:36 am »
has anyone done ALCAT testing for food sensitivities for their LOs or themselves? 

http://www.alcat.com

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: anyone do ALCAT testing?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:29:35 pm »
Never heard of that but I'll be looking at the link you put in.

I have done NAET with mixed results, but the theory now is that DS is lacking enzymes which has nothing to do with allergies / intolerances so no 'method' can cure him. But funny enough, the NAET guy found DS was reacting to dairy (which we knew), iron (he could not absorb it - proven by blood tests done subsequently with no iron in his blood) and sugars - which I thought was funny and 'out there'. When we saw the GI last week, believe it or not she thinks DS is lacking some enzymes called sucrase and isomaltase which are required to digest sugars.  So all in all his findings were quite 'spot on'.  I know some people have said there are endless appointments for NAET treatments, for us it was about 5-6 treatments in total.

http://www.naet.com/

If you're interested, I think it's best done by a chiro although my guy was a naturopath. There is a link on this site to find a practitioner near you.

Other BWers have recommended to me kinesiology.  Near me I could only find Applied Kinesiology which is done by a chiro and that helped a lot. But there are other forms of kinesiology that can be available to you. The chiro who did the AK with M did help him more than the NAET guy TBH. She is great and helped us out loads.

If I recall, your LO is having GI issues since having a stomach bug is that right? I guess you're looking to find out what he's reacting to at this point? What are his symptoms?
Elise

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 23:26:09 pm »
hmmm, never heard of NAET, i will check out your link.  i had read your update about your DS's enzyme condition which is so unbelievable!  how are you holding up?  how will you treat that?

yes, good memory re: my DS.  his symptoms are increased fussiness (much like what he had after the GI virus and before his ED, which completely cured him of his fusses) and not sleeping enough (used to be high sleep needs, had been getting 11-12 hours total until he was hospitalized this past weekend with yet another awful GI virus...now he is getting more like 12.5-13 hours which is great).  his toddler program teacher agrees with me that his fussiness is not "typical terrible two" behavior and he is also encouraging us to take his testing to the next level. 

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Re: anyone do ALCAT testing?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 00:09:44 am »
how are you holding up?  how will you treat that?

For now they have to do a scope, which is scheduled for October 16th. They will take a biopsy and if it is positive, then we can get an enzyme replacement which is called Sucraid. The other option is to adjust his diet to just meat and non-sweet veggies but that is easier said than done ;) Poor DS refuses all new foods, I think he's made the association that food = pain.

Does your DS still have diarrhea despite the exclusion diet he's on? Have you seen a GI?

(((HUGS))) it must not be easy, I hope things get better for him soon.  Do keep me posted about ALCAT if you decide to do it!
Elise

Offline chicagomom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 00:25:20 am »
will do.  he does not have diarrhea, just very soft stool.  he hasn't been on his ED in months.

good luck with the scope.  i will check back here and see what you find.  poor little guy!!  and poor mommy!