Author Topic: Pasta everyday! Is this ok?  (Read 24634 times)

Offline snowbird

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
Pasta everyday! Is this ok?
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:43:29 am »
Hi all,

LJ is not eating much at the moment and tbh I think her appetite is affected by her milk intake, but we are on to that! The problem is that she will eat loads at dinner if it is a pasta/rice dish. So I am cooking this more and more and having few occasions where dinner is potatoes. If it is a potato dish, she eats very little and then you can guarantee she'll be wanting to dine on milk in the night :( Which then affects her appetite the next day  :(

So is pasta/rice everyday ok at nearly 18 months?

This whole food issue is driving me crazy, but my DH and I are very careful not to comment on what she does and doesn't eat. She only gets praised for her lovely table manners! We've BLW since 6 months old and LJ has got on ok. She doesn't have a huge appetite (except for pasta) really, but she is obviously hungry when she wakes in the night and take a full 7 oz bottle!

Thanks,

Snowbird xxx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Pasta everyday! Is this ok?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 11:42:50 am »
I don't think there is a problem with pasta frequently - you can vary the sauces/ flavours so she is getting variety.

I would say though that at this age milk in the night is rarely from true hunger, it's more likely that the bottle is a prop - she has learnt that the way to get back to sleep is with a full tummy, she doesn't need the milk. Toddlers really don't wake from hunger at night - there have been many, many times when my DD has gone to bed after refusing her evening meal and she hasn't had milk at bedtime since before she was 2 but she never wakes hungry and this is really common.

I would wean that night bottle by dropping 1oz every 3 nights and resettling. When you get to about 2oz just offer water from a cup instead of a bottle and resettle her. Having milk at night is really not good for her teeth more than anything.

Laura

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:19:41 pm »
Thanks, Laura! We thought it was hunger in the night as it's not something she is doing every night - sometimes she will still sleep through! I can pretty much know whether we're going to be feasting at night by what she eats in the day. But, like I said, the night feed affects the day solids then :(

Will definitely take your advice and wean the night feed as and when she wants it.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »
Also, if you make a switch to whole grain pasta (has more fiber, we have an organic one with flaxseed in it) it might keep her fuller longer, and packs more nutrition. White pasta tends to makeone feel full, but then be hungry a shorter time later.   :)

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 17:05:54 pm »
I totally agree with Anne about the whole grain pasta. Also, there has been evidence that rice can have a good deal of arsenic in it. That includes rice cereal too. The recommendation is to use brown rice, rinse well and cook in a lot of water. This cooking method cannot be tolerated by white rice.

Here is a link with more info:

http://www.enviroblog.org/2012/09/getting-arsenic-out-of-your-and-your-kids-diet.html?utm_source=2012arsenicsuba&utm_medium=email&utm_content=first-link&utm_campaign=toxic
Nini

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 17:13:01 pm »
I've found that DD only really likes potatoes two ways...baked with sour cream or hashbrown style with ketchup.  She won't eat plain potatoes or mashed potatoes.  Maybe try topping the potatoes and you might find your DD will eat them ???  We also have whole wheat garlic bread with some of our meals as a carb so that we aren't eating pasta/rice all the time :) 

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 17:25:28 pm »
We are from the country of pasta! And, though we are not a family that eats pasta every day, I know MANY people that do it and at daycare they serve pasta every single day. So, I don't see any reason why you should not cook pasta every day. I agree with varying sauce, putting meat, fish and vegetable in it, and it becomes a quite complete meal. What I would do is giving her something else she likes less before it, to encourage her to vary her menu, doing it when she is hungry is better.
Barbara

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 18:49:59 pm »
Ah, thanks for all your replies  8)

So I'm ok to give wholegrain to a 17 month old? I remember reading that you shouldn't give them wholemeal and the like as it is too filling and can affect their appetite or something along those lines. Not sure what age that was directed at though - LJ was only weaning at the time. We went to a party recently and all the sandwiches were wholemeal and LJ ate them.  Egg too - even though she won't touch egg at home and wouldn't when I made it for her recently again lol!

Tinkerbell99 - yes, I did make some paprika type wedges before and she ate them; that was when she was less fussy though. I will definitely try this. Maybe, before the pasta as Barbara suggested.

Thank you  ;D

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 19:12:38 pm »
I remember reading that you shouldn't give them wholemeal and the like as it is too filling and can affect their appetite or something along those lines.
I didn't know it. Here we are advised to give kids small pasta pieces in the vegetable puree as young as 8-9 months (of course if the kid likes the texture), so I didn't really thought about it. We never had problem with DS's appetite though... He always ate almost everything! :)
Barbara

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 20:09:21 pm »
I think UK guidelines are that wholegrain is ok but only in small quantities until they are 2 as it can be more filling and they won't eat enough higher calorie/ nutritious foods if they fill up too much on it.

My two ate a combination of wholemeal and white bread but we only started using wholegrain pasta recently.

Laura

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:52:36 am »
For me, I liken white pasta to white bread....we try to consume less of the "white" foods.  I have never bought a loaf of white bread, actually, come to think of it, and Amelia has never eaten it. We use the whole grain pasta whenever possible, and she has had it since she started on table food. Loves it to this day!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 03:05:28 am »
Canada Food Guide suggests a 50/50 split with whole grain and refined carbs on a day to day basis for toddlers... it will fill them artificially and can actually block absorption of some nutrients too.

DD loves her pasta too!

Offline roseola

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 23:46:42 pm »
Which one does the  Canadian guide line say has the ill effect? I'm assuming refined carbs??, but why suggest a 50/50 split? is there a benefit of refined carbs?
Nini

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 23:54:08 pm »
I think it's good to encourage variety, so I'd try to make different shapes/colors of pasta as well as have different add-ins (various veggies, different sauces, etc), to keep exposing her. 

There's not a benefit to refined grains.  Go for the whole grain. :)

Offline roseola

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 00:02:10 am »
Thanks! We always do, I thought I was missing something.
Nini

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 03:56:45 am »
Which one does the  Canadian guide line say has the ill effect? I'm assuming refined carbs??, but why suggest a 50/50 split? is there a benefit of refined carbs?

Nope - the whole wheat.  It will give kids the feeling of being full so that they don't eat much else (veggies etc)... it's suggested that half of the carbs you offer be whole wheat and the other half be refined...

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 21:23:34 pm »
Hi all,

Thank you! I have read your responses, but didn't have time to reply at the time and then couldn't find the post without searching for it! Where are your own posts located on this updated version!? Logged in on computer now to make it easier - usually use ipod touch!

Anyway, it's interesting how everyone has different guidelines! Laura, thanks for clarifying the UK guidelines. I'm not going mad then!

I will try a little of the wholemeal then, just to introduce LJ to it. Tbh I fear what my hubby will think more!!! He's not a fan of brown rice. I used to eat it for the benefits, but didn't particularly enjoy it! That was 5.5 years ago before I met him! Not sure I"m going to appreciate the wholewheat pasta either. Not keen on wholemeal bread :( and hubby hates it too.

On a positive note, pre weaning LJ, hubby didn't eat a whole heap of things that he does now: salmon, tuna, cauliflour, broccoli etc. I know he will be willing to try it at least!

Would have started LJ on a bit of this before now if I'd thought about it more. We will see how it goes... xxx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 12:20:19 pm »
My DS would live on pasta too if I let him. BUT I serve him what we are all eating (and make sure he at least has a side dish he likes) and we DO have pasta 2-3 times a week (well two usually for dinner and once for him for lunch). And we use MOSTLY organic whole wheat pasta and only occasionally white pasta. I'm gluten free so I use quinoa pasta myself but the kids and now DH too really like the whole wheat - DH now won't eat white pasta as he finds it too mushy! I also always change up what is IN his pasta - sometimes chopped up veggies in the sauce, sometimes cauliflower, sometimes a meat sauce, etc.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 13:52:40 pm »
Hey Anne: what brand is your pasta and wher edo you buy it from?
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 11:43:27 am »
I think the only thing to be wary of is limiting the diet too much.  I am convinced that this could cause fussiness and restricted diets in some kids.  Although having a child who also didn't sleep well I feel your pain.  What I used to do was give him something 'safe' for tea that I knew he'd eat then something more experimental for lunch so he had tea to catch up if he needed to.  The funny thing was some of the lunchtime meals then became the 'safe' foods.  If I had restricted his diet completely I would never have known that.  I also always offered a pudding which was healthy enough that I wasn't worried if it was the only thing he ate.

I'm also unconvinced that at 1 year night wakings are due to hunger but I really do know what it's like to be exhausted.

Let me know if you need any recipes though to mix up the pasta and rice dishes, I have quite a few.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/